Replacing LCAs. What else? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2012 Premium with ~150k miles. Replacing the LCAs soon and wondering what else should I be looking to replace while I’m at it. New to KDSS. Any typical wear items associated with that system? No visible leaks noted and CV boots look good. Will be adding a small lift later down the road but keeping it stock for now.

Just curious, why replacing lca's?

2012 Premium with ~150k miles. Replacing the LCAs soon and wondering what else should I be looking to replace while I’m at it. New to KDSS. Any typical wear items associated with that system? No visible leaks noted and CV boots look good. Will be adding a small lift later down the road but keeping it stock for now.
Since it's all apart, are you doing upper control arms also? Or are they already on.
In short, what kind of a build do you have or plan on?

I'd probably skip the CV boots if they are fine and not leaking now. CV's a pretty easy to pull and re-boot at any time. When you lift the GX later on, the boots will probably rip soon after. I've switched to high-angle All-Pro CV boots and have since had zero problems with them ripping.

Regarding the UCAs, if they are fine I'd leave them alone until you lift.

Honestly, if the cash flow works for you, IMO you'd be better off to do the lift, LCA's, UCA's, and CV boots all at once, just to save having to tear your entire front end apart again later on.

I'd probably skip the CV boots if they are fine and not leaking now. CV's a pretty easy to pull and re-boot at any time. When you lift the GX later on, the boots will probably rip soon after. I've switched to high-angle All-Pro CV boots and have since had zero problems with them ripping.

Regarding the UCAs, if they are fine I'd leave them alone until you lift.

Honestly, if the cash flow works for you, IMO you'd be better off to do the lift, LCA's, UCA's, and CV boots all at once, just to save having to tear your entire front end apart again later on.
Do you have a link to those CV boots? If so, can you copy it to Guide to GX 460 Builds and Aftermarket Products sticky post?
I may be interested in getting a set as a preventive measure.

Also, agree, and my point above, since it's all apart and hanging there, might as well do it all, and if you can swing it, heck do a suspension lift also. Bang it all out in one shot!

Do you have a link to those CV boots? If so, can you copy it to Guide to GX 460 Builds and Aftermarket Products sticky post?
I may be interested in getting a set as a preventive measure.

Also, agree, and my point above, since it's all apart and hanging there, might as well do it all, and if you can swing it, heck do a suspension lift also. Bang it all out in one shot!
Here you go:

I bought mine from Summit Racing as they have free shipping. The included band crimp pliers kind of suck and broke so I bought a pair of these. Summit refunded me $10 for the el cheapo pliers.

Reactions: r2m
Thank you all for the input! As for build, going with an Ironman 2” down the road. Trying to enjoy the factory ride for a while as I’ve been driving modified tacomas for the last decade and it’s kind of nice to have a “smooth” ride for once. Guess I’m getting old. However, the itch is still there

Will take a closer look at the KDSS bushings and clamps.

Reactions: r2m
...it’s kind of nice to have a “smooth” ride for once. Guess I’m getting old. However, the itch is still there
Yep I 100% agree. As we get older, the heated and cooled along with being way more comfortable seats, heated steering wheel, whisper quiet ride, 3 zone climate control, etc. sure makes it hard to go back to a Taco. My wife has an '07 4x4 crewcab Taco and I hate riding in it. Seats are uncomfortable, it doesn't have climate control so you're constantly moving the dials and levers to fine tune heat and AC, not to mention the harsh ride.
Don't get me wrong, we love her truck and it absolutely has it's place in our family, but for any length of time on (or off) the road, it's the GX, hands down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom