Replacing A/C Blower (Fan/Squirrel Cage) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dissent

Questioning my life choices...
Threads
I need to replace my blower motor (squeaking) but they don't come with the fan/squirrel cage installed. The wife's RX300 snaps onto a groove on the shaft. I was considering replacing the bearings in her OEM original but I can't get that fan off, the plastic snapped into the groove won't budge.

I'm concerned I'll run into the same issue on my 80. Any trick to swapping the fan to the new motor?

thats a rebuildable motor in the older models too..just a greaseable bearing , and some graphite contacts. 60s are small bolt, think 80s too.

Really? I'd rather just rebuild it. I just re-bearing'd a ceiling fan and saved $200 for $15 of bearings. I'm all about that. Just a nut holding the cage on then?

Any trick to swapping the fan to the new motor?

Yes, getting the old fan off intact. ;)

In addition to the small tab fitting in the groove in the shaft...the fan must be a pretty good interference fit (friction fit). I sure as heck couldn't get the one off of my 80 series blower motor.

I 'had' a small squeak with the blower motor on low speed (not very often, but it would sometimes make a short squeak/chirp).

I tried my best to remove the fan wheel...but it quickly became evident I was going to break it before getting it off.

So....I drilled an inspection hole in the fan dome which allowed me to see the motor shaft.

I was able to drop small amounts of Militec oil on the shaft, let it run the shaft to the face of the motor and by hand turning the shaft...I could distribute it. I did this several times...then reinstalled the blower motor. So far...no more squeaks. How long lived it will be...remains to be seen.

I have not found a replacement wheel (alone) for the unit..but it looks like a rear fan for a 100 series might work and it IS available without the motor.

80 fan.jpg

Yes, getting the old fan off intact. ;)

In addition to the small tab fitting in the groove in the shaft...the fan must be a pretty good interference fit (friction fit). I sure as heck couldn't get the one off of my 80 series blower motor.

I 'had' a small squeak with the blower motor on low speed (not very often, but it would sometimes make a short squeak/chirp).

I tried my best to remove the fan wheel...but it quickly became evident I was going to break it before getting it off.

So....I drilled an inspection hole in the fan dome which allowed me to see the motor shaft.

I was able to drop small amounts of Militec oil on the shaft, let it run the shaft to the face of the motor and by hand turning the shaft...I could distribute it. I did this several times...then reinstalled the blower motor. So far...no more squeaks. How long lived it will be...remains to be seen.

I have not found a replacement wheel (alone) for the unit..but it looks like a rear fan for a 100 series might work and it IS available without the motor.

View attachment 1766791
Interesting fix...I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one unable to remove that dang cage! I have the same issue, a slight squeak, not quite a $95 replacement squeak. Any balance issues with that hole in there?

Interesting fix...I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one unable to remove that dang cage! I have the same issue, a slight squeak, not quite a $95 replacement squeak. Any balance issues with that hole in there?

No balance issue. I thought about that as well when I was doing it...but the hole is so close to the center of rotation and the weight difference almost immeasurable. It seems to have had no effect.

Not a squeak out of it in 1.5 years (so far). If it starts again...I will try the oil trick again or replace, but so far...so good.

Good to hear. I developed a squeak yesterday one hour into a 14 hour drive. Took 8 hours to find. Quiet at full on or OFF. Fun

Just finished and the fan is quiet again. Thanks for the solution.

I cleaned the fan with soapy water and a brush to get the solid layer of dust off, then drilled two opposing smaller access holes (with my father's old Yankee drill) and sprayed Heavy Duty Penetrating Grease in those holes and inside the holes of the two screws on the bottom of the motor.

Fan is quiet but I removed the last of the crumbling foam insulation that dampens the recirculation door; now there's a small thud when it opens or closes.
Will have to find a source of suitable foam.

Has anyone replaced the motor and the squirrel cage all in one? If so, do you have any part #s handy and any gotchas for a one banana level 80 owner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom