Replacement spindle options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the prossess of sorting out a hum/vibration and uneven front driver tire wear. I am getting ready to replace front wheel bearings. I repacked them a few months ago and noticed a good groove in the thrust washer indicating inadequate preload on the bearings. I didnt notice any significant spindle damage but I didnt really check. This time I will check carefully for spindle wear. If I find wear how good are the aftermarket made in Japan spindles? The OEM are $350 some of the toyota specific vendors sell made in Japan spindles for $150. But I like to stay with oem when posible.

I want to add that I also have a part time kit. So needle bearings vs bushing bearings are not as big a deal. But wheel bearing surface is still critical.

Does anyone know the serviceable limit on the spindle size if I mix them?

Last edited:
I replaced a damaged spindle with a Joint Fuji from Cruiser Outfitters. It does have the needle bearing/bushing combo. No issues at all since then. (About 3 years and 25K miles, give or take)
They will also have all the other parts you'll want to replace at the same time. Bearings, spindle nuts, washer, star washer, gaskets....

Also went with the Joint Fuji from CO to replace one that I seemed to never be able to get the torque right on.

A piece of advice on getting to the bottom of uneven front tire wear. I dropped the tie rod a couple of years back thinking I'd do the TREs when I was servicing the front axle, then concluded my old man status would probably make breaking the old ones loose a chore. I reinstalled thinking I put everything back exactly the same. Then started having issue with the tire on that location, noise, then uneven wear. Went over things several times, then gave up, taking it to my pro to deal with. He took it for a test spin and came back 5 minutes later to tell me it needed alignment. Sure enough that was the problem, but I'd managed to trash half of a good set of tires while diddling around thinking it was something more hardware-problematic. It's low-hanging fruit to check alignment if you're still not sure the source of your issues.

I looked at CO web page. It looks like I can get OEM from them for $230 each side. That would add about $160 to the cost. Considering the overall price of the job I might just go oem in this case. I figure I will be 700-800 in for spindles, bearings, seals, grease and all the parts. That's the cost of ownership. At least I dont have to pay labor.

Last edited:
OEM 105 spindle, I just put a set in my truck.

78AACC14-307F-48B3-A275-E396F95671EE.jpeg
9F26B4AA-6D21-4295-8FF6-901DDF4C0F7E.jpeg

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom