Replaced my globes today, here are a few tips (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For your harsh ride, I encourage considering replacing the rubber bushings & cushions on the AHC hydraulic rams (shocks). I'm running BFG's on 16" rims. I got all my AHC pressures in line years ago, 2 years ago I replaced the globes. Substantial performance improvement but still harsh over every crack in road. It's easy to compare to my wife's completely babied & stock 2002 LX470, which still has an incredible ride quality.

I replaced the bushings & cushions on my front rams last week and the comfort improved dramatically, maybe more of a difference than new globes (mine were like yours, about 7 graduations and passed the pencil test, though I did go with Plaeides globes). I just got done with one rear ram, and will be doing the 2nd this week (all ram bushings & shocks were Lexus/Toyota OEM). I ordered Febest bushings for all 3 of the rear control arms (OEM demands total replacement of the arm, OEM bushings are not available). Doing one portion of the system at a time definitely helped me see the direct effect on ride quality.

For all 4 rams (shocks) below are the Lexus part numbers that fit my 2000 LX470. After I successfully replace the bushings on my rear control arms, I'll post the Febest part numbers. $182.73 all in shipped from Lexus Eskridge OKC.
2x: 9038519010
2x: 9090389016
2x: 9094801075
2x: 9094801076
2x: 9094801077
2x: 9094801078

This is my stance as well. Bushings make a huge difference.
So why did you replace the globes?
Because he had 7 gradations which means that the globes are failing to move enough liquid to dampen properly. When he states they were "OK" what he's saying is that the globe wasn't completely punctured/ruptured. The globes can be deflated to the point of non-function well before they outright rupture.
I didn't know that they were all still somewhat ok until after I removed them. And they certainly weren't perfect, because I was only getting 7 graduations with my old ones and now I am getting almost 14 graduations. They were at the end of their life.
Yup. 7 gradations leaves you with very little damping. I wouldn't call them "somewhat ok." Rather, I would say they were deflated, but not ruptured.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom