Replace transmission? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2008 Landcruiser has a transmission problem.

Both the dealer and a indy repair shop have recommended replacing the transmission.

Toyota says 14 weeks before they can have one brought in. I’ve looked at used car parts Sites and haven’t found anything I would be comfortable buying.

Any other suggestions for a rebuilt or used transmission trusted source?

Sorry to hear that! What is the problem? How many miles and what was the maintenance history on the tranny?

Out of curiosity, how much are they quoting you for a new one?

I was in a similar (identical?) situation in January. My dealer told me they were able to find a remanufactured trans in a warehouse (Toyota from my recollection) but that it was the last one in the US. I didn’t really know if that was believable at the time but what you are saying lines up with their story.

My 2008 was throwing a code for a solenoid. Occasionally it would get into a sequence where it wouldn’t shift beyond 3rd or 4th gear.

I don’t have the paper work with me but I believe the total dealer charge was $6000 ish +/-$500.

I was able to find some replacements online but, to your point, nothing that made me as comfortable as an OEM replacement/reman.

I hope you find a solution!

I was in a similar (identical?) situation in January. My dealer told me they were able to find a remanufactured trans in a warehouse (Toyota from my recollection) but that it was the last one in the US. I didn’t really know if that was believable at the time but what you are saying lines up with their story.

My 2008 was throwing a code for a solenoid. Occasionally it would get into a sequence where it wouldn’t shift beyond 3rd or 4th gear.

I don’t have the paper work with me but I believe the total dealer charge was $6000 ish +/-$500.

I was able to find some replacements online but, to your point, nothing that made me as comfortable as an OEM replacement/reman.

I hope you find a solution!
Thats wierd that they wanted to replace the transmission if it was just a solenoid code being thrown.
its lot easier to replace the solenoid or even the valve cover body.

But your prices of 6000$ on a reman toyota transmission with installation included sound reasonable.

My 08 with 200K has has thrown the solenoid codes P0761 and P2714 on and off the last few months. I work from home so I notice it more when its sits more than a day. When it happens the solenoids read in a cold state I clear them and its fine for a couple days. I've checked the fluid level and its good and the transmission oil and filter was replaced at 175. I've been reading through mud and combing through youtube videos on and off the last couple months and it looks like most of the transmission failures were resolved with replacing the valve bodies. I've come close a few times from hitting the button and ordering the Nomad kit right now its not acting up but feel like adding one of those kits to the shelf for when it does. Good video on replacing the valve body. Good Luck with yours.

Screenshot_20230510_113833_Autel MaxiAP200.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom