Removing Brakes from Military Trailers to Reduce Weight? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have just got a heavy duty military trailer, the M105A2 and unladen weight is a hefty 2700 lbs. Someone said somewhere to reduce weight by removing the surge braking system. The surge brakes are useful I feel on steep decents so is there any merit to the suggestion?

I hate to be that guy, especially after the entertainment from your chicken coop thread, but if you get the proper truck to pull it you won't care about the weight. Think about getting a smaller trailer, like an M101A3. Stolen from web:
8365616031_f619497b51_b.jpg

EDIT: Versus this
m101-2520libby-jpg.235141

Last edited:
Everything about the 105 is super heavy. I have both 105 and 101 type trailers, no way would I pull a 105 with a suv. Get rid of the whole axle and tires, the landing gear and the surge brakes. You would still have a massive frame and over kill for what you could haul. Just seems like you would be a head, money wise and safety wise to sell the 105 and look for the 3/4 ton M101 series trailers.

I went to go look at a 105 for behind my 40 and 80. One look in person and I could see it was way to much for our trucks. Sell your's, get a 101 or something else.

I forgot to mention about the hydro. brakes, they are air assisted. They are a surge brake, but need air to work. If you look under the body you'll see the air tank and air line that hooks up to a Deuce's glad hand. You would have to supply an air source in work for them to work.

I'm happy with my 105. I swapped the stock axle to an 8k 4" drop axle, with normal trailer tires. Rides level with my 80, and only weighs about 2k empty. It handles well, and fits massive amounts of stuff. I wouldn't use it to pull heavy loads long distances, but it's perfect for my local use.

I'm happy with my 105. I swapped the stock axle to an 8k 4" drop axle, with normal trailer tires. Rides level with my 80, and only weighs about 2k empty. It handles well, and fits massive amounts of stuff. I wouldn't use it to pull heavy loads long distances, but it's perfect for my local use.

Do you have a brake on your axle? A ton empty is not a light trailer.

Electric brakes, lost parking brake feature though. It's heavy, but the cruiser is rated for 5k lbs per Toyota. So there's a bit of legal capacity left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom