Red Band Hunt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tomorrow I'm off on a hunt for three native Northern California Redband Trout... part of my effort catch all 11 catchable native trout in their native drainages. After this trip I should have enough of the 11 to qualify a California Heritage Trout certificate from CDFW. I'll be using this thread to post up photos and comments along my way.

My redband hunt is a three day adventure to three different river drainages in Northeastern California where I hope to catch, in each, the resident redband trout. If time permits, I'll also scout out some camping areas for possible return with wife and dog.

The first part of my journey will take me to Warner Mountains between Goose Lake and Fort Bidwell. The Warner Mountains are home to two different redband trout: the Warner Lakes Redband and the Goose Lake Redband. The former can be found in creeks draining to the east while the latter in creeks draining to the west.

The second part of my journey will take me to McCloud area. There I'll be chasing after the McCloud Redband. I'll be fishing isolated creeks northeast of Mount Shasta.

My basic plan is to fish each area until I've documented a couple of catches, then move on. I'll sleep in the back of my Cruiser, eat/drink on the move, do long haul driving in the dark, etc.. I'll be putting in 700 or more miles with at least 14 hours of driving, mostly pavement. I'm hoping these creeks aren't blown out. I'm fishing them high, near their source springs, so should be okay.

Anyways, time to do double check I've got everything packed in cruiser... next update from somewhere in Modoc County.

Last edited:
Back in Carson Valley (since 2am)... no worse for wear. Quick summary:
  • 2 of 3 redband trout caught (Warner Lakes and Goose Lake)
  • Saw lots of great wild lands and life, including pronghorn and deer.
  • 885 miles of driving! Most of the extra on dirt! Probably close to 20 hours of driving.
  • Cut the trip short, one night sleeping in the cruiser was enough
  • Will return to McCloud area next week to (hopefully) get the remaining redband.
I'll post the full story and photos once my network starts behaving... it's been screwing all day long.

Last edited:
I pulled out of my garage at 4:30am but stopped immediate due to tire pressure warning light coming on. Checked all 5 tires, one was at half pressure (despite being checked a few days earlier). Pumped it back up and took off. Checked it regularly, it held steady.

Got up to Goose Lake mid-morning, aired down the tires for comfort, and headed up Modoc County Road #2... about 5 miles in I started seeing snow in shadows and then at 6 miles in a drift halfway across the road. I pressed on... crossing a few similar drifts until I got to the 6.5 mile marker, 6975ft or so in altitude. Road completely blocked. Oh well, guess I'll head to Lassen Creek, fish that while I think about options.

IMG_0218 (1).jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

An hour later I was fishing on Lassen Creek a mile or so above the Lassen Creek Campground... at 5700ft or so. Caught fish right away on gnats in clear, slightly high water. On the way in and out I came across some phronghorns.

P1020490.jpg

P1020495.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

Thinking about Dismal Creek, the spot I had marked on my map was at 7250ft... hmmm... maybe I just head to McCloud. I could cross off any hope of getting up there from Fort Bidwell (the other end of Modoc #2). But up on the eastern side is Twelvemile Creek, which reportly had Warner Lakes Redbands in it. So over Fandago Pass I went...

P1020500.jpg

P1020504.jpg

P1020507.jpg

P1020508.jpg

P1020510.jpg

I looked at Twelvemile Creek but there was only a very small section in CA that I could access without crossing posted private land. Didn't see anybody around to ask for permission. I could occasionally lookup towards Dismal and it looked like might be accessible from the Oregon side. Need to up to Lakeview anyways for gas. I missed a turn a long the way... but a local rancher let me cross their property to get back on track. I was on the other side of that green valley... all one big ranch. The rancher also thought I probably could make it up to Dismal. But I was down to 1/3 of a tank, so to be safe, I decided to first go into Lakeview gas and before heading up there. Might as well have a beer...

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

So 1.5 hours or so later I was back, ready to head up the hill to Dismal Creek... but...

About 2/3 up I got blocked by a down tree. I would have needed a chain saw and some crafting wrenching to get through this... I did a bit of searching on foot to see if there was a reasonable way around found none. Nothing on the printed maps... but I had loaded my destination into google maps and it was showing a minor road paralleling the road I was on and intersecting with a half mile up. I walk the 100ft down to it and saw that will it hadn't been driven on this year, it was reasonable road. After a bit of backtracking to find a connecting road, I was around the down tree and back on primary route to Dismal Creek. A short while later I was at the border... but shortly there after I was blocked by another tree. But hell, I'm at the border.... I can camp here. 1/3 of mile down to the beaver ponds on the border and 2/3 from the mark I had put on my map. As the sun was going down quickly, I grabbed my rod and headed down to the beaver pond. No action.

P1020531.jpg

Had a uncomfortable night in the cruiser... really need to flatten the back and get an air mattress. Still would be short.. but okay for sleeping on your side. Anyways, up early... time to fish...

IMG_0255.jpg

P1020534.jpg

P1020535.jpg

Dismal Swamp Area... yes, swamp... water everywhere. But it's running clear. Unfortunately no fish seen. I did notice some quad tracks... so I wasn't the first person in here this year.

P1020536.jpg

P1020538.jpg

P1020537.jpg

P1020539.jpg

Last edited:
Fished my way back to the rig... saw a few fish but no hook ups... had some breakfast and fished some more. Same. Well, I have one... the photo doesn't do the fish justice, but it's good enough. My camera sucks (designed for underwater pictures, doesn't take very good pictures out of water).

I should move on if I'm going to fish the McCloud area.

P1020541.jpg

P1020540.jpg

P1020542.jpg

So back on out I took a couple pictures on the by-pass route I took around the fallen tree.

P1020544.jpg

P1020545.jpg

Got to Lakeview before noon... got a burger, rings, and a shake... and munched down on it all while airing up my tires.

I made Trout Creek in McCould area at 3:30pm. As expected, the water was up but running clear. I fished for 2 hours or so, saw only a few fish but couldn't get them to take anything. This place frustrates me... maybe I 'm just not patience enough... but I decided to pop over to another area I had heard about before but hadn't fished. Lots of rises, this should be good. First cast I had a hit but no hookup. A half hour later, I had more hits but no hook-ups. Hook must be too big. Tried small stuff, no hits. I fished here until after 9pm. Unfortunately, no camping is allowed in this particular area so I'll have to move... leaving the place to the fawn.

P1020551.jpg

P1020548.jpg

Once I got back in the cruiser, I decided I just really up for another uncomfortable sleep... at least not yet. Realizing that this location is only 40 minutes from where I'll be camping next week, I figured I'd just return then. I can even add an extra day given I returned a day early on this trip.

Driving home wasn't too bad... though I had to drive a bit slower than I would have liked... too many deer out to race. I was fine until I got passed Reno, I could feel myself wanting to nod off at the wheel. So I stopped in the Washoe Valley for a quick cat nap in the driver seat. I got home at 2am.

Overall, despite my failure to catch a McCloud Redband, this trip was a success. I learned more about how not to sleep in a FJC... and more about what I need to better pull of these expeditions, especially solo. Aside from maybe getting a 2.5 gallon gas can, I probably should get a personal location beacon device or something (I'm frequently in the backwoods alone). But I did amazing well with APRS (note that long gaps are due to my radio turning itself off). I played it reasonably safe... (but as we know from recent events, it only takes a second to get in a world of hurt).

To be continued, I guess, in a week's time.

kz9.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom