Recommendations on SAE J583-compliant flush mount fog lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to install a set of SAE-compliant fog lights in my forthcoming bumper. I'm not interested in lights which won't be street legal (DOT-compliant). I haven't really seen any options:
Any other options out there?

Assuming I can find one, anyone have any ideas how to aim them?

In my experience, Rigid customer service is responsive and will make custom set ups if they don’t already offer it (not sure if that’s the case with the dot approved products) but I’d suggest giving them a call or emailing them directly.

I did reach out to them, twice. They said they don't have one. I asked if they could swap face plates and they said they could not.

While in principle, I think it's a good idea, in practice, I don't believe it's worthwhile. SAE J573 is not just about the lamp. It's also about the general design that includes installation guidelines for front fog lamps. You're not going to be in compliance by just slapping a SAE J573 lamp on an off-road bumper. Even if you were to try to set it up to the prescribed guidelines. It still won't have been validated to meet the spec which is what matters in the end.

Or perhaps I'm missing the point of what you're trying to accomplish?

While in principle, I think it's a good idea, in practice, I don't believe it's worthwhile. SAE J573 is not just about the lamp. It's also about the general design that includes installation guidelines for front fog lamps. You're not going to be in compliance by just slapping a SAE J573 lamp on an off-road bumper. Even if you were to try to set it up to the prescribed guidelines. It still won't have been validated to meet the spec which is what matters in the end.

Or perhaps I'm missing the point of what you're trying to accomplish?
You’re correct, I still need to properly aim it. But the SAE spec means the light pattern is correctly distributed. Spot, flood, or diffused lights may blind other drivers because they shoot light too high. The SAE spec means that a properly aimed fog light shoots level and down, not just spraying light forward. The light itself doesn't mean the installation is legal, but if the installation is correctly done then it is road legal (and if the install is correct but the light is not SAE then it's not)

Last edited:
If nobody else has ideas, I guess my question is if the face plate/bezel can be swapped by removing the 6 hex bolts, or is the lens part of the bezel?

Did you ever figure anything out?
I am in the same situation and am about to abandon my search.

Check out JW Speaker. I had their LED headlights and fog lights in my JKUR, and they were DOT legal and absolutely fantastic quality. Not cheap - same ballpark as Rigids - but IMO probably the best quality on the market. I remember back when I bought them a couple years ago they offered quite a few DOT legal fog and driving lights, so you may want to check them out:

Products – J.W. Speaker

I ended up buying flush mount spot Rigid lights and bracket mount rigid SAE-approved fog lights. I carefully swapped the bezels (since they only thing sealing them is a rubber gasket that the lens sits in) and put the bracket mounts on the spot lights.

I'm selling the bracket-mount spot lights if anyone is looking for a set. $150 for the pair, unused, comes with all the hardware, relay, toggle switch, etc.

FWIW I did investigate doing the same swap on the Superbrightleds lights, since they are SAE J583 compliant, but the lenses aren't flat so I was afraid I'd never be able to keep the damn things clean. Hear that SB, the front of the lens needs to be flat, not rounded and exposing each LED lens!

Vividlumens out of Canada has a flush mount option now, though it appears to be identical to the SB lights if you swap the bezels, and they are cheaper. No warranty if you swap bezels though, so that's one plus for Vivid.

Note that you need to angle the lights downward about 3 degrees in order for the light pattern to distribute correctly and not blind anyone. +1 to @reevesci for his Trail Tailor front bumper design which is welded this way if he cuts the fog light holes in the middle rather than the wings... they're spot on!

I ended up buying flush mount spot Rigid lights and bracket mount rigid SAE-approved fog lights. I carefully swapped the bezels (since they only thing sealing them is a rubber gasket that the lens sits in) and put the bracket mounts on the spot lights.

I'm selling the bracket-mount spot lights if anyone is looking for a set. $150 for the pair, unused, comes with all the hardware, relay, toggle switch, etc.

FWIW I did investigate doing the same swap on the Superbrightleds lights, since they are SAE J583 compliant, but the lenses aren't flat so I was afraid I'd never be able to keep the damn things clean. Hear that SB, the front of the lens needs to be flat, not rounded and exposing each LED lens!

Vividlumens out of Canada has a flush mount option now, though it appears to be identical to the SB lights if you swap the bezels, and they are cheaper. No warranty if you swap bezels though, so that's one plus for Vivid.

Note that you need to angle the lights downward about 3 degrees in order for the light pattern to distribute correctly and not blind anyone. +1 to @reevesci for his Trail Tailor front bumper design which is welded this way if he cuts the fog light holes in the middle rather than the wings... they're spot on!

Do you have any pics you could share of the bumper and fogs?

Sure

upload_2018-8-29_12-25-24.png

My bumper is built by @reevesci at Trail Tailor. His default setup has the lights in the wings, which works well for running spots/floods on the trail, but the wings are slightly angled so they won't work for fog lights. He custom cut the fog light holes for my build and with the slight angle he engineers to the face of the front bumper (seems like it's maybe 3-4 degrees) the flush mounts are literally perfectly aimed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom