recommendations for trailer for hauling a 7k pound 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ive been looking at car / equipment trailers lately and some things are confusing me for some reason. I don't know if I'm overthinking this or what and correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to add the trailer weight to the vehicle weight to pick a trailer. what the axles are rated for. can someone explain this to me or recommend a trailer.

I have a dodge 2500 with the 6.7l cummins so I'm not worried about the truck. that isn't a problem. ill be adding airbags to the truck as well.

thanks

I'd suggest a weight distribution hitch before air bags.
Say your truck can tow 10,000 lbs. If so, the Max tongue weight is 10% of the max tow rating. Assuming your hitch is a class 4 or 5, it is rated for higher than the truck.
Back to the truck. 10,000 rating = 7000 cruiser + trailer, up to 3000.
So the axles of the trailer need to be rated for the trailer weight and the cargo

The sprung weight of the trailer plus the load can not exceed the axle rating. The sprung weight of the trailer is everything less the wheels, tires, and axles.

Easier to say that the net weight of the trailer plus the gross weight of the vehicle and all of the stuff that goes with it (tools, spares, etc.) should always be less than the sum of the weight ratings for all of axles. This builds in some margin and is what Engineers call "Conservative".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom