Rebuilt H42 4 Speed Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ukboneman

SILVER Star
Threads
I just finished rebuilding an H42 4 speed transmission and wanted to get some input. There is a little bit of wiggle at the junction of the input and output shafts at the needle bearings. I didn't really notice any motion there before I took it apart. Is that typical? Everything seems to rotate and shift as it should, although it's a bit stiff. I would guess that will loosen up once it breaks in.

IMG_4230.JPG

Before the rebuild parts might have had a bit of gunk but now everything has been cleaned and no more gunk. Things will feel a little looser to your fingers. Mounted in a vehicle you won't even notice it.

Yes there will be a little. When the transmission is mounted and the nose of the input shaft is inside the Pilot bushing there will be almost none. That type of "joint" has virtually no strength. However once each of those is secured within two other bearings it doesn't need very much. Keep going. I actually found my transfer case to be more of a challenge.

I have a 3 speed TC that I am just reading up on rebuilding/modifying for the 4 speed. The 4 speed was not bad - ended up cutting the input and output bearing races with a carbide bit to get them out - they were pretty stuck to the shaft. Thanks to both you guys for responding so quickly.

Only thing I would be asking myself did I get all seventeen roller bearings where the two shafts meet.

I wondered that. they were all tucked in while it was going together. I even tipped the H42 upside down to see if one rolled out, and it didn't. I think it's ok, but just wanted to get some thoughts. thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom