Rear Wiper Won't Shut Off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
May 29, 2003
Threads
82
Messages
1,086
Location
Fort Collins, CO
And it is driving my wife crazy.

My guess is the control on the stalk is not functioning.

Any quick fixes before I take it to the deal?

Michael
 
And it is driving my wife crazy.

My guess is the control on the stalk is not functioning.

Any quick fixes before I take it to the deal?

Michael

Locate the relevant fuse, pull it and reinsert it. If the planets are properly aligned, it might even work :)
 
Definitely pull the fuse before it leaves wear marks on your glass from running dry.
 
From what I have read on this board before, most time you will have to replace the BODY ECU!


And it is driving my wife crazy.

My guess is the control on the stalk is not functioning.

Any quick fixes before I take it to the deal?

Michael
 
I replaced stalk, wiper motor, and power relay. I just threw a lot of money away, or bought some extra spare parts. (half full/half empty)
But it looks like its the ECU. The wiring all rings out, and I've replaced everything else.
 
Thanks guys. I will try to pull the ECU and see if it works, unless there is another fuse that I should try.
 
Well, I've pulled the wiper fuse. Then the ECUa, ECUb, main, and battery. Still can't get that wiper to stop.

Finally pulled the wiper fuse this morning and told the wife to get it to the dealership before the next snow fall.

Thanks for the help guys. If I wasn't busy with finals, I'd probably tear into the lift gate and disconnect the motor.

Michael
 
Tell me if I'm getting hosed? Feels like I'm getting hosed.

Wife took her 100 into the dealership to ask about the rear wiper. Service Rep says the motor is going out - $340.

Motor going out?? I can't shut the damn thing off, how is the motor going out?

I would figure a switch or modular was going out.

Anyway, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My wife had them take the arm off for now. I'm much more inclined to disconnect the wiper motor than replace it.
 
Did you say FIRE HOSE!

I have heard the motors are ridicuously expensive, plus of course the hour? to change it.

Power to the motor has to come from the instrument ECU or Body ECU to keep it on all the time, so I very much doubt it is the motor, however that said, inside the motor is a park switch which keeps power on until the wiper arm goes back to it's park position and turns off. If this has failed then you are up for a motor. Personally I would unclip the tailgate moulding and unplug the motor to stop it going all the time.
Speak to cruiserheadrat, you maybe able to work a deal with him, post his motor to you to try, and see if this fixes the problem, if it does send him some cash or something.

From a 2002 manual which should be similar
When the ignition SW is turned on, the current flows from WIPER fuse to washer motor TERMINAL 2, rear wiper relay
TERMINAL 3 and TERMINAL 4, and rear wiper motor TERMINAL 1 respectively.
1. REAR WIPER NORMAL OPERATION
When the ignition SW is turned on, and the rear wiper and washer SW is turned to ON position, the current flows from rear
wiper relay (Coil side) to instrument ECU TERMINAL (C) 3 to TERMINAL (A) 17 to rear wiper and washer SW TERMINAL 10
to TERMINAL 2 to GROUND, and turns on the rear wiper relay. As a result, the current flows from rear wiper relay
TERMINAL 3 to TERMINAL 2 to rear wiper motor TERMINAL 3 to TERMINAL 2 to GROUND, and operates the rear wiper.
2. REAR WIPER INTERMITTENT OPERATION
When the ignition SW is turned on, and the rear wiper and washer SW is turned to INT position, the current flows from rear
wiper relay (Coil side) to instrument ECU TERMINAL (C) 3 to TERMINAL (A) 16 to rear wiper and washer SW TERMINAL 13
to TERMINAL 2 to GROUND, and the intermittent circuit in the instrument ECU is controlled to operate the wiper
intermittently.




Tell me if I'm getting hosed? Feels like I'm getting hosed.

Wife took her 100 into the dealership to ask about the rear wiper. Service Rep says the motor is going out - $340.

Motor going out?? I can't shut the damn thing off, how is the motor going out?

I would figure a switch or modular was going out.

Anyway, and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

My wife had them take the arm off for now. I'm much more inclined to disconnect the wiper motor than replace it.
 
Thank you for the feedback.

I am thinking about tearing into it after the holidays. Maybe I can pull the motor myself and swap it out. for a test.

Maybe once I get into it, I'll be able to see if this motor is a carry over from multiple years. Could be easier to come across an 80-series motor.

Thank you again.

Michael
 
I got the same run around from the service manager at the local toyota dealer, "BAD MOTOR" I had already replaced the stalk and relay. So one very expensive motor later, I still had the same problem. Right now I have the relay unplugged and no working rear wiper. So one of these days I need to order a new Body ECU.
 
I got the same run around from the service manager at the local toyota dealer, "BAD MOTOR" I had already replaced the stalk and relay. So one very expensive motor later, I still had the same problem. Right now I have the relay unplugged and no working rear wiper. So one of these days I need to order a new Body ECU.

Where is the body ECU?
 
Hi,

I now have the same problem. So far I have just disconnected the motor.

Has anyone successfully fixed this? If so, what did you do?

Thanks for the help.
 
Old thread, but I am having the same issue with my '99 100. Has anyone found a cure to the always on rear wiper?
Fingers crossed!
 
If they can help, here are the electrical diagrams for your 99's rear wiper. It's controlled: stalk switch -> instrument ECU -> wiper relay -> motor. The ECU is behind your radio, the motor & relay (R31) are inside the liftgate.

The rear wiper relay is hideously expensive (P/N 85940-60090), but easy to test once you have access to it. If the relay tests good, then to test the switch & ECU you can remove the radio trim, pull out the radio, and probe the four wires (A16, A17, C3, C12) on the ECU connectors A and C. See what those pins are doing when you move the stalk switch and then you can isolate if the switch is busted or the ECU isn't interpreting correctly.

IMG_2849.webp


IMG_2852.webp


IMG_2850.webp

IMG_2851.webp
 
If they can help, here are the electrical diagrams for your 99's rear wiper. It's controlled: stalk switch -> instrument ECU -> wiper relay -> motor. The ECU is behind your radio, the motor & relay (R31) are inside the liftgate.

The rear wiper relay is hideously expensive (P/N 85940-60090), but easy to test once you have access to it. If the relay tests good, then to test the switch & ECU you can remove the radio trim, pull out the radio, and probe the four wires (A16, A17, C3, C12) on the ECU connectors A and C. See what those pins are doing when you move the stalk switch and then you can isolate if the switch is busted or the ECU isn't interpreting correctly.

View attachment 1836074

View attachment 1836079

View attachment 1836075
View attachment 1836076
Wow, thanks a lot Ayune, you're awesome! This will be on my to-do list over the long weekend. I can't see how I won't be able to figure it out with the info you provided. I'll report back once I check everything.
 
Robert, another thing to check, perhaps first, is the cam switch inside the motor (zoomed below). If this switch is stuck to the left it’ll never indicate that the wiper is ‘parked’ and the motor will run til the cows come home. Good luck.

87DE2A29-8A7C-4196-8351-9F7978D24BF3.webp
 
Robert, another thing to check, perhaps first, is the cam switch inside the motor (zoomed below). If this switch is stuck to the left it’ll never indicate that the wiper is ‘parked’ and the motor will run til the cows come home. Good luck.

View attachment 1836527
If this is the culprit, can I free it or does it need to be replaced?
 
Well, I’m not a doctor, but I’m pretty sure it’s a physical lever or cam that mechanically actuates that switch when the wiper reaches its parked position, all internal to the motor. If that lever is broken off, or the switch is gummed up, that switch may get stuck and pass 12V constantly to the motor.
 
Back
Top Bottom