Rear window help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ChuckB

SILVER Star
Threads
I have had my 55 for about 3 weeks now and I am finally starting to go through and see the state that everything is in. The other day I was operating the rear window and i heard a thunk, like parts falling off while the window was moving. What I ended up finding was that part of the track had fallen off and I found this plastic gear looking thing. I fixed the track but I can't find where this plastic piece goes. I did a search and can't find anything conclusive. I don't believe this is the plastic gear that every is talking about in the other threads. The window goes up and down fine without this piece it seems. I don't have the FSM yet so any help is much appreciated. Here is a pict, sorry it is so out of focus...
P9011154.JPG

That looks like part of the tailgate latch mechanism but the mechanism is all steel, not plastic as far as I can remember!

It is DEFINITELY NOT the rear window gear that operates the window.

Charles,

Thanks, that might explain why I can't open the tailgate or the window from the rear of the cruiser. I'll look into it some more.

I am still interested in the window gear. If they are still available I will send you a check this weekend.

Chuck

Charles,

Thanks, that might explain why I can't open the tailgate or the window from the rear of the cruiser. I'll look into it some more.

I am still interested in the window gear. If they are still available I will send you a check this weekend.

Chuck

The gears will be available till mid-October at which time the FINAL order for paid up gears will go in. All who are waiting on gears will have them sent out in mid-November from Miami.

The gears will be available till mid-October at which time the FINAL order for paid up gears will go in. All who are waiting on gears will have them sent out in mid-November from Miami.

Those are the Brass gears from a year or so ago? How are those working out in the Pigs?

That looks like part of the tailgate latch mechanism but the mechanism is all steel, not plastic as far as I can remember!

It is DEFINITELY NOT the rear window gear that operates the window.

Does look like the latch mech. wheel. I have a box full of TG parts...I'll go look later.

Those are the Brass gears from a year or so ago? How are those working out in the Pigs?

I've only had good reports so far. I test them against the spare rear window motor I have in my parts stash so I'm confident that they work.

Charles,

Chuck

Yep, that's the outer latch gear. Think you will have to open it with help by accessing through the panel. If that part is broken off then I would think the only things holding it closed are the window and the functioning latch...as I recall it both latches are pulled in unison by the rods to the handle...if the window isn't going down? is the motor/gear good? or is it binding on the latch rod? Or if it is down is the other latch not pulling free?

Took photos of both sides of the latch. Hope that helps.
latchosd2.jpg
latchisd2.jpg

Yep, that's the outer latch gear. Think you will have to open it with help by accessing through the panel. If that part is broken off then I would think the only things holding it closed are the window and the functioning latch...as I recall it both latches are pulled in unison by the rods to the handle...if the window isn't going down? is the motor/gear good? or is it binding on the latch rod? Or if it is down is the other latch not pulling free?

Took photos of both sides of the latch. Hope that helps.

Ok did mean inner not outer wheel/gear.

Then again, Plastic???????????

Yup its plastic, I'll try to get a clearer picture. But it looks similar to the second picture but not exactly the same. I haven't had a chance to look into it since the initial post.

i dont recognize that gear and i dont think it has anything to do with the rear hatch,,,, maybe just fell in at some point in history. as for not opening the tailgate, prolly just an adjustment need to the latch rod/s.

i dont recognize that gear and i dont think it has anything to do with the rear hatch,,,, maybe just fell in at some point in history. as for not opening the tailgate, prolly just an adjustment need to the latch rod/s.

It seems to be a mystery... The part doesn't seem to have any effect on the operation of the rear window. The only thing that doesn't work right now is the operation of the window with the key in the tailgate? Probably an electrical issue that I need to try and figure out. Unless someone can identify it, I'll probably just keep until I figure it out :rolleyes: thanks for the help!!!!

Chuck, you'll need to open the tailgate and then roll the window up while the tailgate is open to access the wiring terminal strip. You can do that by pushing the lockout in that located on the left pillar and then have someone roll the window up.

If you need a wiring diagram just ask.

If the tailgate doesn't open it will be either the latch rods that "Rhino" is talking about or the lockout that is misadjusted and doesn't "know" that the window is down.

Chuck, you'll need to open the tailgate and then roll the window up while the tailgate is open to access the wiring terminal strip. You can do that by pushing the lockout in that located on the left pillar and then have someone roll the window up.

If you need a wiring diagram just ask.

If the tailgate doesn't open it will be either the latch rods that "Rhino" is talking about or the lockout that is misadjusted and doesn't "know" that the window is down.

What about the tailgate being all (every bit) closed...is that rear switch contact for the front or back?..I remember my tailgate not closing at one time and having to push in the tailgate a smidge to activate the contact switch. Just dont remember it has been too long.

...is that rear switch contact for the front or back?

That contact switch locks out the power window in the tailgate. If correctly wired you cannot operate the window from the front or the back if the switch is not made. That being said, you cannot access the tailgate wiring strip unless the window is up as the wiring strip is behind the glass otherwise!

Thanks for the info!!! I will try to look at it this weekend and let you know.

What exactly are the latch rods? Are those the arms the push the window up that are in the center of the tailgate? Sorry for the ignorance... going on a month of ownership and need to get the FSM!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom