Rear Locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally got around to pulling my Mini's rear third to inspect the locker. The problem is that the locker unloads all the time, turning, straight, it doesn't matter. One time from a dead stop it just spun and did nothing but unload and wouldn't move. My understanding from the PO is that it is a Lock Right. Does this look worn enough to cause this? Would the teeth alone be the problem or could there be something else wrong with the locker? There was no missing/loose parts in the bottom of the axle. There was some fragments on the drain plug magnet even though there are very few miles on the fresh oil I put in when I swapped the axle housing. This all started with the trussed housing that was bent when I bought it from too much heat in the welding.
Rear Lock Right.JPG

View attachment 1513224
Rear Third.JPG

Hmmmm.
Looks like excessive wear.
I've had those with much use show less wear.
Mayhaps not set up properly??
Bent axle fxxxed it completely?

What lockers is everybody running that they have been happy with?

I got the factory ones and have had no issues, other than ones I've specifically caused myself. damaged the housing of the actuator (easily repaired) and twisted axle shaft. Not like any of that helps for you though. These guys seem to be all about the Spartans now.

Spartans or lock rights.
Stay away from Aussie.

I want to say that is an Aussie locker in there. Can't remember for sure though, but I know Jason had stuck Aussie lockers in other rigs with no issues.

Almost sounds like the housing is still bent if it is popping that easily.

I have a spartan in the rear and an aussie up front.

My locker situation is the same

Sounds like a bent housing. That's a lot of wear. That thing does not need a gay ass trussed rear housing. Unflated your bill and throw a junkyard housing in.

I am happy with lockrite, spartan, and Detroit.

He replaced the rear end with one I had. It was a stocker from a non wheeled rig.

I had 3 aussies break.
1 was from the bent axle in my 60.

I put a gay ass truss on my rear axle.
I must be a flat bill wearer.

Cept, I'm not!

Yea like Tony said, i replaced the housing but I think the locker is damaged from the previous trussed and bent from bad weld housing.

Tony put a gay ass truss on my rear and i still cant walk right.

Lock rites front and rear no issues in years of wheeling.

I think I may have a broken steering shaft, there is lots of slop, something's wrong, maybe bearings.
I don't know what is in there so a bit exploratory for my low level of wrenching prowess.
The steering wheel may have been used a few too many times as a handle to climb in the truck.
Is there a special gear puller to pull a mini steering wheel or do I just need a smaller gear puller?
Steering wheel.JPG

Steering wheel puller, put a nuts on the back side of the bolts if there is no threaded hole. Have someone work the wheel while you look at the shaft for play in the u joints before ripping the column apart and taking the wheel off.

One question did you take the nut off the shaft or was there not one on there?

Steering wheel puller, put a nuts on the back side of the bolts if there is no threaded hole. Have someone work the wheel while you look at the shaft for play in the u joints before ripping the column apart and taking the wheel off.
One question did you take the nut off the shaft or was there not one on there?

I took the nut off.
Here is a short vid of what it is doing:

Based on your 3 millisecond 280P video.....

it looks like the support bearing at the end of your column might be wasted. You're also missing the plate and dust boot on the firewall. Maybe that was ditched with the sas work?

Based on your 3 millisecond 280P video.....

it looks like the support bearing at the end of your column might be wasted. You're also missing the plate and dust boot on the firewall. Maybe that was ditched with the sas work?

Yea sorry for short video, I originally tried to shorten the video in an attempt to post it from my phone but that didn't work, by the time I got it to u tube I had already deleted the original somewhat longer (4millisecond) video.
I assume to replace the support bearing I need to pull the steering wheel and steering shaft?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom