Rear hatch stupid slap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
75 FJ40 with a gate and lifting hatch. The hatch (am I using the correct word here??) has to be held up by hand tightening the "brake" on the spring-loaded struts... in a clock-wise fashion... seems to grab the strut's shaft and "brakes" the telescoping. But the hatch is too heavy and just as I reach in to grab something, WHAM! I get a "stupid slap" behind the head (right where my Uncle used to target) by the rear hatch swinging down and accelerating.

These seem to be original parts, as the mounting parts and fit seem proper.

Can these spring loadad struts be rebuilt or repaired? Or is there a suitable replacement that will hold the hatch up correctly?

Done a couple conversions in the past and have another scheduled next week, I'll post a pic and give you the part # for the struts......

The selection of struts is critical as to get the correct length and load capacity.......

Thanks for the info on the rear hatch struts! Lookin' forward to fixin' 'em! Could we go gas-loaded, so I don't have to hand-tighten every time I open the hatch? I should measure the struts for reference... but where are the measuring points supposed to be? i assume mid-bolt on either end?

Gas loaded is what I'm talking about.........

You can search around, sure theres post on "how-to", I posted before but its been 3 or 4 years back...........

Ended up using Mighty Lift #c-95295 struts and mounting ball kits #ml3000...

Extended 20" ~ compressed 11.5" 50lb rated..........

SWEET..........:hillbilly:
100304_154612 (Custom).jpg
100303_124049 (Custom).jpg
100303_124102 (Custom).jpg

How difficult is it to lower the rear window now? I'm about to do this myself, and I've been concerned that a pair of 50lb rated struts would be too stiff.

I drilled a hole through one of the struts, or you can drill both if you like, and used a tethered clevis pin to put through the hole. Cost about 35 cents....for the pin. :banana:

How difficult is it to lower the rear window now? I'm about to do this myself, and I've been concerned that a pair of 50lb rated struts would be too stiff.

I'd like to know too. There are other weights available, lighter and heavier.

I put the NAPA struts in both sides. $70+, but well worth it.

Put one in like FJ404life did and it held, but decided to put the other one in anyway. Works great.

mine does the same thing. the struts will not hold it up and it always hits me, so I have to hold it up with my back...I am planning on getting new ones, just have not got there yet

WHAM! I get a "stupid slap" behind the head (right where my Uncle used to target) by the rear hatch swinging down and accelerating.

I feel your pain (literally)! the spring struts on my 72 are utterly useless. Tried to load up full hands of groceries last night and got slapped stupid.

The PO of my truck built these little jigs out of PVC pipe that snap onto the strut and lock it in place when upright, but they are a real PITA and you have to have both hands free to snap them in/out of placel. Those Napa struts are on my to-do list this weekend now.

i would think it would be easy. i ran 90# on my fj60 and it was just fine for me. i think the 60 hatch is a bit lighter than a 40 hatch also.

What NAPA struts (part#) did you use? If I read the posts correctly, you were able to put the Napa strut inside the original struts. Let us all know.

'Got a '71 FJ40 and have got hit in the head a few times myself. :)) Sounds like a good fix. Thanks!

NAPA part#819-5565 It will fit inside. I believe you have to remove the end...been a while. Its pretty simple once you tear apart your old cylinder. Im still just running one. Holds fine for me. If I have to have it up the extra couple inches then I lock the sleeves.

I sent a PM to Grant asking him about this, and thought I would pass along his response:

I have used the same ones going on 6 or 7 times, they close with less effort than you might think.... The customers rig I mentioned in the thread came to pick it up just today and was pleased with it......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom