Rear-Ended. Hit-and-run. Thankfully not in my new LC

If you've been following Seattle/Tacoma area weather, we've been getting an unusually intense snowfall. I was out in my 2000 Tundra, which is in excellent shape! Lot's of packed snow and ice on side roads. I was stopped at a light on a slight downhill section (N UnionAve and N 26th for Tacoma people), and slammed into by a Chevy Avalanche. I suspect they could stop due to the icy conditions. Surprisingly severe jolt from impact!! I got out to assess the damage and was very surprised the recovery hitch took most of the impact-very little damage to the bumper. Due to the severity of the impact, I was expecting a lot of damage to my rear end but I don't see any serious damage, the Avalanche front end wasn't so lucky. Then the Avalanche driver just took off. I didn't have time to get a plate #. I filed a police report (license plate was obscured by snow) Don't expect much to come of that.

I plan to have my truck checked out, I'm not sure if I will file an insurance claim because I don't see much visible damage. I'm wondering if anyone has opinions on potential damage to my vehicle. I was stopped on snow/ice, I was in Drive and 4-Hi. the point of impact appears to be focused on the rear tow hitch (with a recovery hitch installed). Anyone with experience on potential issues with drivetrain or other things to look for?

GTV

Sorry to hear that man, that really sucks. I live up in Shoreline and it’s been a total sh!t show all week long.
It sounds like you got hit in the best possible place, the hitch can take a punch. Driveline should be fine but it’s possible the frame rails could be tweaked a little. Also make sure the wiring harness is ok.

Top Bottom