Rear Diff Locked and Won't Disengage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off, this isn't my Land Cruiser. It belongs to @SmokeSkiCA . It's been sitting in my driveway for three years after he got orders to Japan. It had a fair amount of rust damage when he bought it, so we started ripping it apart and treating the rust. Both front and rear axles were rebuilt in this process.

I FINALLY got brakes lines installed in order to safely move it around the driveway but I don't have a locked version so I'm unfamiliar with how this should work.

SYMPTOMS: Audible clunk and corresponding thud from the rear of the vehicle (rear axle I believe). The right most differential locker light on the dash stays lit. I tried P, N, D, and R along with H/N/L on the transfer case while moving the dash switch. I believe the front locker unit is not installed.

I moved the vehicle about 30 feet, felt something wasn't right and backed up to prevent any possible damage. The clunk seemed rhythmic, as in consistent per revolution of the axle. Again it hasn't moved in three years, so it could be something completely different, but the RR light is a problem.

My first step will be to drain the rear axle fluid.

What else should I check?

Assuming the rear locker is locked you can manually unlock it. Pull the locker actuator motor cover, pull the indicator switch and you'll have access to the actuator shift rod and shift collar. Remove the bolt that connects the shift collar to the shift rod and you can manually unlock the diff. You'll likely have to jack up one tire to rotate an axle shaft and more easily unlock the rear.

Since you cannot electrically unlock the locker the actuator motor may need to be rebuilt. Could have internal corrosion, poor connections, or magnets have become loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom