Rear Diff Housing damage? From inside? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BajaCruiser94

SILVER Star
Threads
So after a whole day off roading with my 94 and 97 '80's while heading back home I noticed the rear diff of my '97 was leaking oil, upon inspection I was very surprised to find the housing damaged; it seems it was from the inside out?
No weird noises, no grinding, nothing, just dripping oil thru the new punctured hole.

Locked '97, stock gears, 305's, no extreme off road conditions, I will be taking the rig into the shop until early January once they open again, in the meanwhile any idea what caused this?

Can't really explain further without images; here are some pics to help me elaborate.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1451365774.644743.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1451365799.428391.jpg

As always, thanks for your inputs.

-Emerson

Wow, that's a first ... at least for me. Curious on what that is... looks like a bullet!

From the pictures it looks like a plug of some sort.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A

Bolt of some sort maybe-ring gear-stuck in ring gear teeth jammed through. I wouldn't drive it. Maybe even pull rear shaft-lock tc-drive fwd to shop. It may grenade it when that part completely jams in the teeth. I've had it on a Chevy. Old guy I know had pics of himself on the front page of the paper in his upside-down Rambler on the Interstate at rush hour here in the '60s when the rear end locked out out of the blue.

I agree its weird, its so small, and so round, it almost seems like a casting plug of some sort that popped out; and there's no other deformation on the surrounding are of the housing.
I will have the shop remove the third member and inspect everything, I will live worried for a couple of days until that happens; I juts hope the locker mechanism isn't hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom