Rear Diff Carrier Bearing issues (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 92 3fe is in the shop getting the 4.88's installed. However they have encountered an issue. Apparently the original carrier bearings are different from the ones that came with the Nitro assembly kit and different from the ones they ordered from toyota. Anyone come across this before and have a remedy?

My 92 3fe is in the shop getting the 4.88's installed. However they have encountered an issue. Apparently the original carrier bearings are different from the ones that came with the Nitro assembly kit and different from the ones they ordered from toyota. Anyone come across this before and have a remedy?
If this is the rear, it's because the rear of that year is a semi float rear axle. Everything 93+ is a full float. Unless you have a late 92 and it already has the full float and not the semi float.

Semi float or full float rear? Open diffs or Lockers?

should be either the 50mm ID or 45mm ID depending on what you got in the rear....I think

It is a 1992 3fe, so I believe its a semi float with open diffs. I have been told that at one point the bearing was "built to suit or made to fit" by Toyota and was custom. Any idea if this is true? Regardless, can I buy an "open" carrier off of a 93-97 3rd member to solve the issue. Trying to make this more user friendly if it ever needs to be changed again.

It is a 1992 3fe, so I believe its a semi float with open diffs. I have been told that at one point the bearing was "built to suit or made to fit" by Toyota and was custom. Any idea if this is true? Regardless, can I buy an "open" carrier off of a 93-97 3rd member to solve the issue. Trying to make this more user friendly if it ever needs to be changed again.
What's the "build date" from your VIN tag?

I sent you a message, I have a bunch of rear axle stuff sitting around.

I have been told that at one point the bearing was "built to suit or made to fit" by Toyota and was custom. Any idea if this is true?
False information. Semi float uses a different part number than a full float. The folks that supplied the gear sets should know this. None of this is new information.

I'll have to go see if I can get the build date later today. The "order" date was 10/1991 though.
If it was anything in 1991, then you have a semi-float.

They ordered the wrong kit.

I'll have to go see if I can get the build date later today. The "order" date was 10/1991 though.
If the truck is US spec with a 3FE engine, then it's a semi float rear axle.
If the back of the rear axle housing has a bolt on inspection plate, then it is a semi float rear axle.
Full float rears did not reach the US market until the 1993 model year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom