Rear Brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I have a leak at the seal of the drivers side rear brake. The brakes are starting to lock up on that side. The 40 is May 75. I know I need new brakes, seal etc, but where should I buy them and exactly what should I buy? The brake guys said the passenger side was fine, but I should do both at once, right? Any idea how much?

BTW, I have front disks. Should I just buy a conversion for the rear?

Help please.

PS. I know next to nothing and I am not capable of doing this work myself. lol

u should convert to the discs in the rear before you sink a lot of money in the drums by getting it serviced. The rear disc brake conversion is actually very easy, all you need is a sawzall, brackets (poser on here sells them), rotors and calipers. Do a search or look in the tech section for disc brake conversion. I think you should do some research and do it yourself.

JT Outfitters has a kit for $399. Is that a decent price or does someone here sell a kit? I have someone who can do the work.

Thanks for the input.

spider said:
Since you admit to knowing nothing and your not capable of fixing it yourself, I would highly recommend you not go into performance mods such as a RDB conversion. Just wait until you end up with the inevitable front/rear bias problems. Pay someone qualified to fix what you got. Ask here or elsewhere of who to recomend, based on wherever you are. And avoid JTO, CCoT and SOR like the plague.

Are you sure that you are leaking brake fluid and do not have an axle seal that has given up?

If it is just an axle seal, replace the seal, clean the shoes and run it.

Good luck!

-Steve

Just check the paperwork. It is the axle seal. But the brakes are done appaerantly, so I should do them as well.

Thanks Guys

If the cylinders are not leaking, replace your axle seal, install new shoes, ADJUST your rear wheel cylinders so that rear brakes work properly for a little while, and be done with it.

:beer:

spider said:

Where do you live?

Don't be afraid to ask for help - there's a separate forum section of localized groups and clubs. Hopefully there's one near you. We all started somewhere. If you're anywhere near me, I'll do it for you and show you how.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom