Rear brake rotors... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Markuson

SILVER Star
Threads
Quick Q...

Finally need to replace my rear brake rotors....after 130,000 miles.

Does anyone who recently upgraded to nicer brake rotors still have their still-decent rear rotors sitting around? I would be quite happy to come and pick them up... :hillbilly:

If not... Gotta decide whether to upgrade or just add OEM again, which have performed pretty darn well...

2 cent opinions also welcome...

-Marku-cheap-uson
:hillbilly::rimshot:

I've got a set with ~20K on them sitting in my garage ... they are yours if you happen to make it to Texas!

I did my rear brake pads the other day, rotor wear was slightly questionable. I thought hmmm, maybe good opportunity to upgrade, i'm at 125k. I priced out the ones that the project 200 guy used (DBA 4x4) and whoa nelly they are expensive! Then went and shopped around for the stock ones which have performed great, found them really extra cheap here:

I'm holding off for now, but if i have any issues before my next pad change I'm going to buy new stock ones

My 2 cents since you asked HA! Save yourself and whoever else the time and hassle and get new ones. By the time you receive, and get them turned it will be a wash.

So far I'm REALLY liking the Bosch, can't speak for longevity however but the bite is super consistent. That said, if you have stock fronts why not just go stock in the rear and keep things matched.

I recently did the RAYBESTOS 980584 Rotor - Specialty Truck from Rockauto at $43 per rotor. I paired them with the TRD pads I got during the 40% off sale. I like this setup.

When I got my truck at 203k miles, it badly needed pads and rotors all around. I went with Bosch rotors and Centric Fleet pads, which seemed to be the best value. (my local Toyota dealer is really high at the parts counter) . The fronts warped and were junk in 12k miles, so I replaced them with OEM rotors and TRD pads (that I ordered from another dealer online for 1/2 of what my local dealer wanted). The rears have been just fine. I think that the rear is probably less sensitive to heat than the front, as they don't take the brunt of the braking load. That said, by the time you're in there, you MIGHT save $50 going with something other than OEM...

OEM rotors are not the quality they used to be to put it mildly! I still run the original rotors on my 80s.!! And every Toyota I had before it .. But things have changed , we already had to replace the front rotors on the Sequoia and it didn't even have 40,000 miles on it same deal with our Honda Odyssey van. They are way more prone to warping nowadays and once that happens it's over

All I know is we baby our Sequoia and that thing would shake like hell if you were pulling anything behind you going downhill and got on the brakes.. all I did was swapped brands of rotors and never had another problem imagine that

I can assure you warped rotors are not a myth you got to understand that manufacturers don't want to eat millions of dollars in recalls. Remember when Toyota came out with a 3.0 engine years ago and had all kind of head gasket issues and never would admit it for years and years after that that's what car manufacturers do.... all of them!

And yet I drive my cruiser quite hard.. but am semi-religious about not sitting still with foot on the brake after a stop from significant speed, and have had zero “warping” issues with my OE rotors in 40k miles. I’m not sure if it was me or the PO but one of us managed to nuke one of my OE front pads. Probably me. I have a thread on the strange black marks on the rotors, but no pulsation. TRD pads now.

I’ve even somehow “unwarped” the rotors on another vehicle bought used by performing a bed-in procedure.

I could see giving cryo rotors a shot, or even the 2-piece parts. But so far my OE parts are working great.

I've got a set with ~20K on them sitting in my garage ... they are yours if you happen to make it to Texas!
Stock Toyota LC rotors are cheap and effective...

Agree.
Just figured I’d ask bc they might be collecting dust in someone’s garage junk pile locally. :)

Dang! It was my drive to Texas and back a couple weeks ago that put my rotors over the edge! Oh well... Thanks anyway! :)

too rich for my blood, but they do look good. If sanybody hadnt already seen:

They are great. Yea it was a bit pricey.... but IMO thats an investment worth making since stopping is just a tad bit important.

To all Mud mates...
-I gotta say...

There are some truly awesome people on this forum. When you get PM from someone and posts offering help (as just happened today)...simply because they are a good guys & helpful people, it’s just a really cool reminder to me of why I am still so active on here after so many years.

Last edited:
A word of warning just in case anyone is shopping for new rotors:

I recently replaced both front and rear rotors + pads using StopTech axle packs from TireRack. The slotted and drilled kits were about $190 front + $153 rear. The front went on great, and I am very happy with the performance improvements (especially in the mountains). However, when I put the rear on and test drove it, I heard a horrible grinding sound. Upon further investigation, I discovered the depth of the rotors were just a bit too deep and that the inside edge of the rotor was scraping against the e-brake backing plate (not the dust shield). This was happening on both sides. To get the truck back on the road, I purchased a new set of rotors from Napa (not my first choice). No grinding. I never heard back from StopTech (after 3 subsequent attempts). TireRack did eventually refund my money for the rear set, after nearly a month of back and forth.

IMG_7894.jpg

IMG_7895.jpg

IMG_7898.jpg

Last edited:
I just replaced all the rotors and pads last week. I went back and forth about what to do. Considered the DBA rotors for a while. Thanks to the input here I went with OEM rotors and StopTech pads. I’m very happy with my choice.

Also did the parking brake shoes, and man was that a PITA... the spring tool will save you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom