Reaming question. (1 Viewer)

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member

I'm doing a power steering conversion, and a high Steer kit. I got a TJ Drop pitman arm. After eyeballing things up it looks like it will work fine. It does ned to be modified to an FJ80 TRE taper. A friend of mine has a GM tapered reamer he thinks will work. My question is will it?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor

Check the actual slope of the taper... I beleive the GM ones are different than the Toyota pitch, I know I have 3 different taper bits, all different slopes.

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator

I was under the impression that Toy and chevy were identical. Although I have no idea about Heep.

Kurt, what reamer do you use for the toy stuff, 1" per foot??

As far as I know GM tapper and toyota tapper are different, at least that is the sorta answer I got from marlin.

I sent my pitmit arm into marlin to have them drill and 1" hole in my arm and have them put a insert in with the proper tapper. They did it for free for me but I bout my high steer arms and rods from them.

My pitmit arm was off a wagoneer, completly flat. Dosn't a TJ have like a 3" drop on it? How tall is this 40? Or do you just have your box mounted weird, like angled up or somthing? My steering angles are perfect, I was excited :) If you go the marlin rout you will need more meat on the end of the pitmit then a TJ has got. I know some full size dodges have a big end on them and a large drop.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member

bustanutley said:
As far as I know GM tapper and toyota tapper are different, at least that is the sorta answer I got from marlin.

I sent my pitmit arm into marlin to have them drill and 1" hole in my arm and have them put a insert in with the proper tapper. They did it for free for me but I bout my high steer arms and rods from them.

My pitmit arm was off a wagoneer, completly flat. Dosn't a TJ have like a 3" drop on it? How tall is this 40? Or do you just have your box mounted weird, like angled up or somthing? My steering angles are perfect, I was excited :) If you go the marlin rout you will need more meat on the end of the pitmit then a TJ has got. I know some full size dodges have a big end on them and a large drop.
I think TJ arms are available with different drops. The one I have looks like a 3" drop.

It's to tall right now. SOA with Old Man Emu springs.

It looks like the TJ taper is steeper than the FJ80 taper, if that is true it should be hurky enough.

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member

I stopped by the machinist that does all my fixtures for work. Turns out he just did a similar project for his son. But he won't do mine unless I buy the correct taper mill.

So the new question is what is the taper on an FJ80 TRE. I made a few measurments with calipers and estimate it to be between 2 and 3 degrees.

Anybody know for sure what the taper is? How critical is it?

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member

All Pro sez 2º are they to be trusted?
Next question, where can I get a hand reamer with a 4º inclusive angle?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom