Real time help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After some phone troubleshooting (first time on the forum in a few days), we concluded that it's the ignition switch. Texted him yesterday to check in on replacement progress. Turns out none of the Toyota dealerships on his route have, or can get, an ignition switch within two weeks. As such, Del is making the trip back east, turning off the truck as little as possible, jumping the starter solenoid with a length of wire to the positive lug on the starter when he needs to start it again.

For others: Before replacing your starter in a no-crank (starter does not spin engine) situation, run through these tests:

1. Verify battery voltage is present. You want above 12.5v.
2. Verify presence of a click when key turned to "START" position. If click present but the starter does not turn, jump to step 4.
3a. If no click, take a 6" piece of wire with stripped ends, connect battery power lug on starter to solenoid signal connector.
3b. If starter turns at this stage, your starter is fine, your issue is the ignition circuit, from IGN START to solenoid.
3c. Key in "ON" ignition and jumping starter as described in 3a should start your truck so you can drive to safety/home
4. If click present, try jumping the truck, to get a voltage bump (in case voltage is too low, in case you cannot measure voltage)
5. If click present but starter still not turning after jump, take a hammer and tap on starter motor while attempting to crank
6. If all else fails, but click is present, then rebuild/replace starter

Drive save Del!

Last edited:
I have an ignition switch for it. I dont know where he is but i can send it. Let me know

Relayed that via text @Roxx. He's got one on order at home, and is just going to make the drive. Thanks for the offer!

Some in the 80s forum have been wiring a relay in on the lead from the ignition switch to the solenoid connector. may be something to try before cracking into the steering column

Some in the 80s forum have been wiring a relay in on the lead from the ignition switch to the solenoid connector. may be something to try before cracking into the steering column

FWIW, that's more difficult than replacing the ignition switch.

Thanks Johnny for the updates.

As mentioned above. The lx450 is running perfect. I start it in the morning (as mentioned above) wire from battery to ignition terminal on starter, then get on road and drive all day and only shut off vehicle when absolutely necessary.

Since the truck is giving me no other issues at all I decided to just continue this way all the way back to NC (currently in Arkansas). I did not want to run the risk of digging into the ignition with an aftermarket part and loose drivability in case I could not get the issue fixed.

Thanks for everything. Should be home tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom