Real time help CV reboot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

reznunt

Massive Metal Shop
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
massivemetalshop.com
Anyone with a 98 have this in their tulip? Must be aftermarket?

Also, there's no large snap ring. The inboard axle with tulip slid right off.

20170504_144740.jpg

Different snap rings also. If aftermarket I'll finish rebooting and pick up new oem ones for next time.

20170504_150534.jpg

20170504_150555.jpg

20170504_150626.jpg

Nevermind, I think they're oem but I have the 1/98 to 10/98 part.

That's an aftermarket shaft. Either replace with a new aftermarket for $70.00 and do it again soon or get OEM for a sure fire fix. Long term you won't regret OEM's. Easily rebuilt when necessary. My first ones went 12 years before rebuilding.

Contact Kurt at Land Cruiser Outfitters for the proper rings. Might need several different thicknesses to get the best fit. Check for other things to do while it's apart.

Last edited:
Yup... aftermarket! Don't even try to rebuild because the boots from the Toyota kit will not fit right. The shaft is most likely not the same size. The good news is that Napa and Autozone stock replacements.... bad news... they are not the same length (or at least were not when I was considering one as a backup). Biggest issue is that the aftermarket may not have the same angle capabilities which will be an issue if you have a lift.

Tom

Yup... aftermarket! Don't even try to rebuild because the boots from the Toyota kit will not fit right. The shaft is most likely not the same size. The good news is that Napa and Autozone stock replacements.... bad news... they are not the same length (or at least were not when I was considering one as a backup). Biggest issue is that the aftermarket may not have the same angle capabilities which will be an issue if you have a lift.

Tom

You're right... the oem snap rings are larger than the aftermarket shaft. Fack... why would the PO swap out axles on a 90k truck when he didn't even wheel it.

Called two dealerships... oem axle assemblies are discontinued. They both said they can't even special order them and to try to find aftermarket parts.

Napa has it for 80 bucks. I'm usually happy about low prices but this doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Any mud vendors stock oem axles?

That's an aftermarket shaft. Either replace with a new aftermarket for $70.00 and do it again soon or get OEM for a sure fire fix. Long term you won't regret OEM's. Easily rebuilt when necessary. My first ones went 12 years before rebuilding.

Contact Kurt at Land Cruiser Outfitters for the proper rings. Might need several different thicknesses to get the best fit. Check for other things to do while it's apart.

Thanks I'll give him a call.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
I just had my local dealership look up and the OEM axles are still available. You might try a larger dealer or just go online.... 43430-60040 is the part number for the axle and the same part fits both leafy and right. These come complete with dust sheilds and outer snap rings... or should. Full retail around $530 but you should be able to find $350ish

Tom

OEM axle shafts are available from major Toyota parts dealers. I have a favorite, Conicelli | Genuine OEM Toyota Parts & Accessories | Conicelli Toyota a Partznet Co. ) but there are many options.

I just had my local dealership look up and the OEM axles are still available. You might try a larger dealer or just go online.... 43430-60040 is the part number for the axle and the same part fits both leafy and right. These come complete with dust sheilds and outer snap rings... or should. Full retail around $530 but you should be able to find $350ish

Tom

Thanks for all the quick info guys... I thought I saw they were in stock last month when I priced them out at ToyotaPartsDeal. $380 each. For now I might just buy another Napa deal for $80 and keep it in the truck just in case. That way I can save up the $800 bucks for the OEM axles.

BTW, I hadn't noticed any issues with the aftermarket axles with a lift. The only reason I pulled them out today was to fix a leaky oil seal. I decided to reboot at the same time to kill two birds. That said, I'm still going with OEM asap.

Anyway she's all buttoned up with a new OEM seal and new Napa axle. No more leak and drives great so far. Gonna take her on a moderate-difficult trail ride next week. I hope all goes well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom