Read diff lock troubleshooting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BGMachine

Working on cars I can't afford
Threads
Hey all,

So I've encountered an issue with my rear diff lock this weekend. It was having trouble engaging then when it finally did engage, I couldn't get it to disengage. When the tires were chirping on the pavement, I had to tap it with a hammer to release it. When switching it off, I didn't hear the usual relay click until we hit he actuator with the hammer. My question for you is: is this a position sensor issue or an actuator issue? I have heard that removing the actuator might be problematic. I want to figure out a good place to start. Thanks for the help all!

I'll go on a limb & guess since you live in salt belt area, corrosion in the actuator is going to be a likely issue.

Unless you flat wheeled the snot out of it & just barely bent the splines the dog cuff rides on - opening the inspection port & pulling the actuator fork & seeing how that little cuff slides on the splines will let you diagnose that.

But I'm betting on your actuator - and it's not a big or complicated job to pull (rebuilding will be more work, Joey sells the O-rings you need too).

I'll go on a limb & guess since you live in salt belt area, corrosion in the actuator is going to be a likely issue.

Unless you flat wheeled the snot out of it & just barely bent the splines the dog cuff rides on - opening the inspection port & pulling the actuator fork & seeing how that little cuff slides on the splines will let you diagnose that.

But I'm betting on your actuator - and it's not a big or complicated job to pull (rebuilding will be more work, Joey sells the O-rings you need too).

I doubt I bent the splines but I'll check. Would you be able to put me into contact with Joey? I'm not sure who that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom