re gear questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
92 fj80 3FE rolling on 35" w/ a spare, ARB bumper w/winch and towing 19ft boat about 1200lb.
Max speed on freeway is barely 55mph and up hill is barely 35mph.
Should I spend the 2k and get gears? Will the gears actually help with the towing?
If not than i rather get a diesel for towing and avoid the CA smog.
Keep the fj80 for the mountains

Too many variables...keeping the 80 long enough to defray cost of gears?, can you do labor yourself?, is diesel talk meaning a diff vehicle or a motor swap?

I tow a boat too - but also am saving for either a new Tundra or a used 200 for street/tow, and keeping the 80 for dirt & whatever else.

Can't work on gears so would have to take it to a shop.
A different truck, called for a quote of a swap from two shops and I can buy a new tundra for the price he was asking $40k for a chevy and the other one wanted $15k for a chevy motor. So swapping is out of the picture.

That'll be the cheapest way to improve my towing and gas mileage. Anyone have experience with 31s and the towing capabilities?

I have 31" BFG mud terrain R17s (FJ cruiser wheels with Jeep JK rubicon take off tires), cheap set up. 92 FJ80 with winch front bumper and a safari rack. I towed a 1500# motorcycle trailer fully loaded interior a couple months back from TN to UT. Cruise set on 70, no issues in the rockies, maybe slowed down to 60 a couple times. So, its possible you could see an improvement.

Would a 4 speed transfer case release any hp?

I've got 4.88's and 35's on my 91. On hills it still looses steam but overall the drive is fine. I can do 80 if needed. I towed my loaded 1/4 ton trailer from CA to KS this summer and was able to do 65-70 most of the way. In my opinion, the regear was well worth the money.

Oh and get 12-14 on the highway. 11 around town. My trip to KS towing I averaged 13.

What rpm are you turning @ 65mph with your setup? I'm considering re-gearing to 4.88.

I've got 4.88's and 35's on my 91. On hills it still looses steam but overall the drive is fine. I can do 80 if needed. I towed my loaded 1/4 ton trailer from CA to KS this summer and was able to do 65-70 most of the way. In my opinion, the regear was well worth the money.

Oh and get 12-14 on the highway. 11 around town. My trip to KS towing I averaged 13.

I'm not sure. I guess I haven't paid much attention recently. I do know that 3rd gear, 3000 RPM is 60. Next time I'm on the highway I'll look and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom