RE: 1964 FJ40 Soft-top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Oh so excited about buying this.
............and the (long) resto journey begins!!
Any advice from those that have travelled this path, with similar vehicles would be appreciated.
Brief details:
It's all original, matching numbers, and original bows and canvas!
I will be the 3rd owner. PO, purchased from the Widow of the first owner, bought it to restore but didn't have the time/money, it sat in a shed for years.
Rear 1/4 panels, sill panels, inside wheel arch are rough but fixable. Floors are good.
Trying to work out what the original paint color was? I think perhaps Horizon Blue?
Original owner painted over the top of the original colour Judson Green.
FJ40 1964.jpg
fj40.jpg

Give it a complete tune up, change all fluids, new air filter, check brakes and DRIVE it! you can always make it look pretty as you go.

Check out the thread by destin in the 25 section. It will be a great resource. Love the 64s

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD at 85mph in an FJ40

Nice 40 keep us posted on your progress.

Tail lights are original .... Specific to early AU cruisers ... Quite rare ... There is a thread in the 25 section about them

You got the oem hand crank bumper mount on there as well ... Cool

The oem top had the windows replaced at some time

The panels .... There are a few guys in USA who make um... Don't know of AU ... There must be somebody down there

You should check out the 25 section some time... Lots of early cruiser information you'll like

Johnny seems to have youretty well covered. I am curious of the model year? SOR.com has chart that should give you the production month by the VIN. Guessing late 64. Long running boards and emblems on the rear were 65 changes I believe. Dobster would be a good source for help. Those tail light looks very close to the ones used on the long wheel base pickup. If they aren't the same they may at leasted be used in place of them. The pickup lights aren't easy to find be would be much easier then the ones used on the Australian early 40s.

I wondered about the Year also as I did a bit of research on Chassis #'s and it seemed that this one is a 1965. Saying that though, the chart was for USA FJ40's.
Chassis # is FJ4032748 Engine # is F204874.
Thanks for your feedback.

Andy - very cool. Nice purchase. You're in the right spot - the dudes in this forum are like walking dictionaries for information. I like the advice you got from skid-plate: drive that bad-boy before you rip it down. That's what I'm doing right now with my '62 FJ40. I'm having a BLAST and it's energizing me for the frame-off teardown which starts in December. Post lots of pics !

Well the Restoration is well underway.
As you would expect with a 50 Year old Vehicle; there was a lot more Rust hiding under Paint and Sandblasting revealed some 'blemishes' that will mean much more work/money!

Teardown 1.jpg

Teardown 2.jpg

Teardown 3.jpg

Teardown 4.jpg

Teardown 5.jpg

Purchased a few replacement Floor panels from Real Steel.
Not too bad.
The sub Fuel Tank panel requires a bit of work to get close to original before 'stitching in' but good value in my opinion.
The original Rear 'Main Floor' panel and the 'Mid Floor' Panel in the 40 are very pitted and rippled ( see above photos). Thought it would be easier, given the Rib pattern in the Floor to purchase these Panels to get a cleaner look in the back.

20141126_100418.jpg

20141126_100430.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom