Raw gas smell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally rid myself of all the common CEL codes. This required replacing nearly the entire EGR system, fuel injector cleaning, manifold cleaning, and new O2 sensors to name just a few of the efforts I undertook. I’m excited the codes are gone but there is a raw gas smell. I think it’s coming from the driver’s side of the engine compartment, but I am not 100% sure. Incan normally smell when I sniff around the fuse panel to the left of the steering wheel. I haven’t noticed drops of gas on the ground, so I don’t think it’s an issue with the fuel lines. From what I’ve read, it seems the main culprits are normally the cat or the charcoal canister. I changed the charcoal canister last year, so I don’t think it should be that. But, could the canister have gotten saturated somehow during all the troubleshooting and that is where the smell is coming from? That seems like a long shot but I figured I’d ask. Alternatively, could it be the cat even though I’m currently not throwing a code? Thanks in advance for any help.

Is the smell more noticeable just after the tank is filled? Some 80s have developed a leak at the top of the tank. It may be very intermittent because it only is a significant enough leak when the tank is full. You might see a small wet streak from the top of the tank or maybe not. Hard to pin down without dropping the tank, but the smell tied to a tank fill is a pretty sure giveaway that's what's going on.

My tank is cracked at the top where the parking brake cable runs over the top of the tank. I have a new to me used tank I have yet to install, too hot to work on the LC in AZ (27 consectutive days with temps over 110).

Knowing my tank is cracked I only fill it 3/4 of the way. I usually wait till the gas light comes on (rumored 3-5 gallons) and I add usually 12-13 gallons at that point.

I too had strong raw gas smell and bad tailpipe smell on startup. My 80 is @355,000 miles
Things I have done (after a full tune up):
Changed my charcoal canister (helped with gas cap hiss), fuel pressure regulator (helped startup and smoother idle)... I then pulled the EFI fuse for 30 min then popped it back in and did a long non stop drive for 15-20 min without stops @ a steady 55mph, recommended by another user to reset your EFI computer (definitely helped my tailpipe smell) I have also ran a bottle of Cataclean per the instructions (I think my cat runs cooler the cab is slightly cooler). I non longer notice any raw gas smell or abnormal tailpipe smell.
This also helped me go from 9.75-10.25 mpg up into the 10.75-11.15 mpg range

I haven't noticed a connection between filling up my tank and the smell, but I also have not been on the lookout for it. I haven't fully filled up my tank in a long time though because we have people in my neighborhood who like to steal gas so I don't want them to hit a payday if they happen to go after my gas. I'll fill it up and see if I notice the smell. Other than changing the cannister, I haven't done the actions done by @calokie. I think I have a bottle of the Cataclean in my storage unit, so that's where I will begin.

I haven't noticed a connection between filling up my tank and the smell, but I also have not been on the lookout for it. I haven't fully filled up my tank in a long time though because we have people in my neighborhood who like to steal gas so I don't want them to hit a payday if they happen to go after my gas. I'll fill it up and see if I notice the smell. Other than changing the cannister, I haven't done the actions done by @calokie. I think I have a bottle of the Cataclean in my storage unit, so that's where I will begin.
Pulling the EFI Fuse (under the hood fuse box) is super easy.

Not sure what vapor canister you used but my duralast vented out the bottom of the canister and stank like that. I replaced with the ac delco unit that has a hose outlet and routed a hose down through the wheel well. Much better.

Edit - AC Delco 215-153

Last edited:
I used the same ac delco canister. I’ll need to review the outlet hose to see where it’s routed. I suppose I’ll need to ensure the outlet hose is long enough so the vapors aren’t getting stuck in the engine bay. Thanks for the tip.

I finally rid myself of all the common CEL codes. This required replacing nearly the entire EGR system, fuel injector cleaning, manifold cleaning, and new O2 sensors to name just a few of the efforts I undertook. I’m excited the codes are gone but there is a raw gas smell. I think it’s coming from the driver’s side of the engine compartment, but I am not 100% sure. Incan normally smell when I sniff around the fuse panel to the left of the steering wheel. I haven’t noticed drops of gas on the ground, so I don’t think it’s an issue with the fuel lines. From what I’ve read, it seems the main culprits are normally the cat or the charcoal canister. I changed the charcoal canister last year, so I don’t think it should be that. But, could the canister have gotten saturated somehow during all the troubleshooting and that is where the smell is coming from? That seems like a long shot but I figured I’d ask. Alternatively, could it be the cat even though I’m currently not throwing a code? Thanks in advance for any help.

I had the same exact issue yesterday after doing some wheeling. It smelled like gas was leaking from the driver side right by the fuse panel. I pulled off the line to the charcoal canister (the one closest to the fender) and a ridiculous amount of pressure and gas smell was coming out, I opened up the gas cap and a ton of pressure was released and the smell went away. The only thing I can think of is that the valve is stuck and it’s getting built up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom