Rate the Overall Reliability of your 100 (1 Viewer)

How do you rate the reliability of your LC100?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gave it a 5. Bought in Nov of 2004 with 59k in it. Now has 71k
Problems:
  • New tranny in Jan 2006 ($3,600)
  • Leak in sun roof
  • Short in rear tail light
  • Stereo base & reception problems
  • Trim fit and finish problems
  • Steering wheel rubbing noises
  • Other small annoying issues
I really want to love the vehicle. I hate to say it but my 1997 Expedition has been a much more reliable vehicle 145k (only regular maintenance and a new alternator). Can't say that I'd buy another.

Ravenmobile said:
Problems:
  • Leak in sun roof
I really want to love the vehicle. I hate to say it but my 1997 Expedition has been a much more reliable vehicle 145k (only regular maintenance and a new alternator). Can't say that I'd buy another.

Sounds like it was in a bad accident???

i had an annoying rattle under the dash which the Toyota guys fixed on my 20,000km service. I've only done 24,000km so it maybe too early to comment. Rock solid so far though.
cheers
peter

Ravenmobile said:
Problems:
  • Leak in sun roof
That is regrettable. I know it is of no consolation to you now, but everbody...even Toyota....puts out a lemon every now and then......

My 2001

bradtown said:
What year?

Sounds like a raw deal..

It's a 2001. I bought it from a close friend I've known since grade school. I see them regularly and know how they have taken care of the vehicle. His wife was the primary driver mostly to take the kids school, go to the grocery store and regular trips to the beach (Ocean City, maryland - about a 250 mile round trip)- no off roading. They only serviced it at the dealer and she did it religiously as she loved the vehicle. They never had any major problems with it. The only reason she got rid of it was because she had a baby with special needs and insisted on having Onstar in her vehicle.
The vehicle was in only one relatively minor rear end accident ($3,000 in parts an labor). The worst part was that it left my wife and four year old stranded at night while I was out of town. I still have not been able to fix the tail light (short) or the sunroof (sporatic-sitting still at certain angles: plus she is usually in the garage). I hate taking it to the dealer because every time I do it feels like I just got a colonoscopy.
I think that I may have just gotten a car made on Friday at Quitting Time. I guess even the Japanese lose focus every so often.

Ravenmobile said:
The vehicle was in only one relatively minor rear end accident ($3,000 in parts an labor). .

Ok now we know why you had the transmission problem and the tail light problem. i bet your transmission was damaged in the rearend accident and the tail light problem was caused by the repair job.

SWUtah said:
Ok now we know why you had the transmission problem and the tail light problem. i bet your transmission was damaged in the rearend accident and the tail light problem was caused by the repair job.

I could see the taillight, but the Tranny being damaged in such an accident. I saw the damage to the vehicle and I was shocked that is cost near 3 bills to get it repaired. It does not say much about the quality of the Toy tranny if it was caused by the accident. I had a much worse rear ender in my Expedition and have had no problems with the tranny (more than 80K miles) since the accident.

Ravenmobile said:
I could see the taillight, but the Tranny being damaged in such an accident. I saw the damage to the vehicle and I was shocked that is cost near 3 bills to get it repaired. It does not say much about the quality of the Toy tranny if it was caused by the accident. I had a much worse rear ender in my Expedition and have had no problems with the tranny (more than 80K miles) since the accident.

Guess it depends on how it was hit? was it in park? was it towed away? if so was it towed correctly? so many variables. maybe your just one unlucky guy? sounds like it was a great vehicle while your friends owned it, what changed? did they have the accident?

SWUtah said:
Guess it depends on how it was hit? was it in park? was it towed away? if so was it towed correctly? so many variables. maybe your just one unlucky guy? sounds like it was a great vehicle while your friends owned it, what changed? did they have the accident?

It was at a stop light in drive. It was not towed away. Accident happened with about 25k on the vehicle. As for how it was when my friends had it. I have not had too many vehicles that were not great through 60kmiles. Cars generally start having problems after the warranty ends.
I still think it is a nice vehicle. I just expected much more base on Toyota's reputation and the $60,000 sticker price.

Ravenmobile said:
It was at a stop light in drive. It was not towed away. Accident happened with about 25k on the vehicle. As for how it was when my friends had it. I have not had too many vehicles that were not great through 60kmiles. Cars generally start having problems after the warranty ends.
I still think it is a nice vehicle. I just expected much more base on Toyota's reputation and the $60,000 sticker price.

Does your 'Cruiser have a factory trailor hitch? Have you traced the short specifically to the tailight? The reason why I ask is that I had a similar issue with my '98. My wife called me one day saying she couldn't get the truck out of park. She had to depress the bypass near the shifter. Turns out the brake lamp fuse was blown and it prevented the shift interlock from disengaging. Would replace the fuse and it would be OK for a while and then it would happen again.

One day I took the time and traced all the wiring. Found out that the taillight converter had literally melted to the frame. Called Toyota and they told me that the wiring harness wasn't covered under the used car extended warranty I bought. Since I wasn't trailoring anything at the time, I removed the converter, taped up the ends and tucked the wires away. I think I was quoted a price for the converter at over ($200).

Almost a year later I get a recall notice from Toyota telling me to bring it in to have the converter replaced. Apparantly there was a history of them frying. Fortunately I had saved the old wiring harness. My wife took it in, she gave them the old one and they installed a new one.

It could be the same issue if they never had the converter replaced. The converter sits on the frame above where the spare tire sits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom