Ranch Truck 4Redux (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is going to be a long slow project.

Last week I picked up an 1989 4Runner SR5 V6. It's seen better days and spent the last 6 years as a ranch truck in West TX. Before that it was in SoCal (failed CA emissions two years in a row then moved to TX).

Body wise, it is pretty good. No major dents, lots of weird west Texas mud and dirt caked, but it doesn't look too rusty other than the exhaust. Some scale on everything, but should come off easy enough. No cancer.
IMG_20200508_200811.jpg

PO was a grandpa and was having it serviced at the dealer. So in the last two years it got a full work-up there including cables, plugs, belts and a battery ($1600!). Two years ago it got Bils on all 4 corners. 4" lift and 35's. 254k. While the exterior is great, the interior is bad. All the interior panels are gone or shot (doors, backseat, rear). Planning ABS for the backseat and rear, Trying to decide how to handle doors. Some previous owner was a teen boy who decided to do all sorts of stereo additions. I've counted at least 5 PAIRS of speakers (or dead speaker lines) into doors, dash, rear panels, etc. Add to that 5 random switches on the dash (and only one light bar still around). Signs of an alarm and some sketch trailer plug work. Going to need help figuring out what I can delete vs what was OEM and needs to stay.

We plan to keep it on our ranch, which has a few nice rock features that have gotten some other trucks stuck (Gen 5 Tacoma prerunner, survey crew 4wd GMC). This thing climbs them like they are speed bumps. Eventually though I would love to get it trail ready so my kids and I can go explore.

First things first. Brakes and steering. The stabilizer is shot, though it steers fine. So will throw a new one in. Some of the BJ's and EJ's have cracked boots, so will get to those too. Might use that time to blast and paint the front end parts. Brakes though, those cannot wait. They currently don't engage until 80+% travel. So beyond a fluid flush, I am pretty sure the MC is junk (or looks it). The rear LPV is bad looking too, though only the boot (why a boot?). Will start with a flush, 1" MC install, and then check the pads (rotors up front look ok through the wheel). See if that helps.
IMG_20200510_132622.jpg
IMG_20200510_133828.jpg

After that, electric, interior, and general tune up (either running rich or an exhaust leak).

Also, for all you hard core Hilux/africa fans - we have a straight out of Africa repair - cardboard MAF gasket.
IMG_20200510_133805.jpg

I'll post up a bunch more pictures. In the words of Homeland Security, if you see something, say something!

Last edited:
Early 90s V6 4Runner 1" master cylinder and booster. Great upgrade.

I love seeing these old trucks get a new lease on life. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom