raer hatch supports (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 80 series 1991, and have a ladder on the rear door. The factory rear shocks are in great shape but cant hold the additional weight of the ladder. Does anyone know of a beefed up version?

thanks

Sounds like springs are the problem if weight is the problem. Shocks only steady the ride and prevent the tires from bouncing like a basketball. Springs actually carry the load.

Kalawang

I think he's talking about the shocks on the rear hatch... Yes?... If so i'm not aware of them but i'm sure they are out there.

OK, makes sense now. I would consider attaching the ladder to the bumper if possible. Do you have an aftermarket bumper or getting one?

If the gate shocks on that vehicle are original they are tired. I put a new set on mine a few months ago and the gate really flies open now.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I am having problems keeping the rear hatch open. The two hydraulic shock arms have lots of juice in them, but the ladder is too heavy and must be attached at the rear door.

Dan, where did you get your supports? Maybe an after market one might work better.

Thanks

mudmanic;[URL="c2c://3174014" said:
3174014][/URL]

Dan, where did you get your supports? Maybe an after market one might work better.

Thanks

Welcome, its time to get to know DAN

Thanks

Well, I walked upstairs in the warehouse to bin U010 and I pulled them off the shelf and took them home with me.

I don't "do" aftermarket so I am not in a postion to offer an opinion about how they perform.

Confessions of a Toyota Parts Manager.....:lol:

I saw this and bookmarked it to use for a later date, I think it should work really well. I know it will probably be a lot cheaper than buying factory replacements. People think that going with something non Toyota is a crime but c'mon are the hatch supports as critical as say O2 sensors or belts, ETC...

Old #7, did you have to modify the support arms at all which you got at Advance Auto?

Thanks

I haven't done it yet, I just saved it so that when the time came I could refer to it.

I saw this and bookmarked it to use for a later date, I think it should work really well. I know it will probably be a lot cheaper than buying factory replacements. People think that going with something non Toyota is a crime but c'mon are the hatch supports as critical as say O2 sensors or belts, ETC...

Actually, I think someone on mud has proven that the factory 02's are superior as well. And when we have someone as generous as Dan on our side it's a shame not to support him.

Actually, I think someone on mud has proven that the factory 02's are superior as well. And when we have someone as generous as Dan on our side it's a shame not to support him.

Sorry what I was trying to say is, I wouldn't hesitate to use non factory struts for the rear hatch. I think I would only use factory belts, O2 sensors, and other critical parts. Things that don't necessarily contribute to the longevity or the mechanical aspect of the vehicle, could be substituted for something non factory. That is only my opinion. Others that can afford the high prices of even the smallest of parts, I commend. If I could I would use only factory parts for everything.

Sorry I misunderstood the question.

If all you need is access to the roof, would you consider attaching C shaped steps to your last pillar to serve as a ladder ? I've seen those on Dubai cruisers and they look an easy fab.

If you insist on making do with your rear lift gate struts, you might be able to increase their resistance by putting a generous amount of super glue on the collars. Have a caution though as I think the glue shortens the life of the struts. After you break the glue, miniscule bits stay on the piston and act as additional friction. It's bound to wear the seals at some point, though I haven't reached that point yet. I have noticed that when I last added glue to my struts I put a few drops too many and they are now giving hefty resistance to movement.

The super glue thing is not permanent and will last only in relation to frequency of open/close. The first time I did it the solution worked for me for 8 months but I don't access my luggage area more than once or twice a week.

Kalawang

If the gate shocks on that vehicle are original they are tired. I put a new set on mine a few months ago and the gate really flies open now.

How much did those shocks cost?

John

~77 bucks a copy.

Each.

Well, I walked upstairs in the warehouse to bin U010 and I pulled them off the shelf and took them home with me.

I don't "do" aftermarket so I am not in a postion to offer an opinion about how they perform.

Confessions of a Toyota Parts Manager.....:lol:

I must be behind the times I thought you had beno to do your dirty work for you:D

I think I'll start saving for a pair of those...you shoudl here from me in about a year......;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom