Radio noob buys Baofeng BF-F8HP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KennyBob

Anybody can pray for rain, get to diggin’ a well
SILVER Star
Threads
Bought my first frs/gmrs type radio (Baofeng BF-F8HP) and a programming cable the other day for the upcoming SAS#5 trip and I'm having issues getting it to transmit to a cheap walkie talkie. I was able to figure out the programming channels using chirp and programmed in the FRS and GMRS channels. I can receive from the walkie talkie but not vice versa. I've watched a few youtubes and changed a few settings but I think I'm likely missing an easy setting somehow.

What is your other radio?

Most likely, the frs radio has a privacy tone enabled..

It’s a cheap Walmart walkie talkie I got for the young'uns. That makes sense. Any way to figure out what that privacy tone is?

It's typically set in the menu. IIRC typically if you set it to "0" it disables the privacy function and may allow all calls on that channel.

Wow. I really am a radio noob. That was it. Didn’t realize what that number meant until just now. Thanks!

Of course, the basic channels are at standardized frequencies, but I don't know if the interference/privacy codes are fully standardized also. Those could well be manufacturer dependent. Although I have at least 3 different makes of FRS and GMRS radios and IIRC the privacy codes do match when set to the same "number". Yet, my Motorola has 120+ codes but my Uniden only has 38. So, who knows. Anyway, yes, disabling the feature is probably the safest bet in general to ensure compatibility. The Baofeng probably does not have that feature at all, I'm guessing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom