Radiator Exploded '97 LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would gues the belt damage reported above was due to plastic shrapnel getting caught up between the belts and the pullys.

yellowchaosfj80 said:
The Thermostat I'm Sad to say it was An after market one... Yes I know I Well never SIN again... WIRES 5.5mm

Wow! thermostat stuck closed? Can't get much worse than that! Sorry to hear that. That is definitely a part I would normally not skimp on... Even less so now that I read this. I replaced mine with a new one at 75K even though the old one looked and tested perfect... Next time, I'll test the new one before putting it in too!

This site is turning me into a Cruiserpondriac! :)

I think Threads are important for this reason. This is why these expensive experiances happen and are to be shared as to not happen to next person in line. Mine only blew apartthe fan shrowd.. but its just money right..

Rick,

Before ordering, be advised the OEM brass still have the plastic top and bottom tanks your current one does. There are non-OEM all brass/copper ones available out there, but not on a position to recommend one.

DougM

UPDATE ---

Dealership just called and their diagnosis is that the belts driving the H20 pump broke causing the radiator to build up pressure and explode. Freak accident. Change those belts....my wife did say the light that came on was under the battery gauge on the dash....alternator.

I don't think she drove it far enough for the head gasket to be damaged...but they plan to check the pressure up the cooling system after the radiator is replaced to find out.

Dave.

DJSH said:
UPDATE ---

Dealership just called and their diagnosis is that the belts driving the H20 pump broke causing the radiator to build up pressure and explode. Freak accident. Change those belts....my wife did say the light that came on was under the battery gauge on the dash....alternator.

I don't think she drove it far enough for the head gasket to be damaged...but they plan to check the pressure up the cooling system after the radiator is replaced to find out.

Dave.

hmmm.... there are 2 belts, precisely to avoid this situation I imagine... (one of the design features I always mention to friends to convince them of the superiority of the LC)

e9999 said:
hmmm.... there are 2 belts, precisely to avoid this situation I imagine... (one of the design features I always mention to friends to convince them of the superiority of the LC)

I have never heard of one breaking and the other surviving the shrapnel so I am not sure what good two really does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom