rackectomy nutsert removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I finally dealt with the nutserts.
I have searched mud and not been able to find out how to remove the nutserts.
My method.
After removing the rack, screw the bolts back into the nutserts part way and "rock" the bolt with some channel locks until the bottom snaps off. Next just pull up as you un thread the bolt. In the rear the nutsert will fall and be caught by the liner. In the front make sure the sunroof is open and the glass will catch the nutserts (from the rub strips). Fish out the nutserts with a long zip tie. For the actual rack nutserts near the sunroof track use a folded piece of paper to keep the nutserts from falling into the track. For the top piece of nutsert I was able to crush and pull through the top with some channel locks without distorting the sheet metal. Pretty simple deal.

So how did you close the holes?

the plan is to create an alien landing strip by bedlining the rub strips and rack "foot area". this will happen when I deflare and bedline the rockers/flare holes. Untill that time I will por15 filler them and paint with badly matched rattle can gold.

Living in Pacifica, CA (ocean and fog) and loading salty dripping kayaks on roof racks I am unfortunately familiar with top down rust (as opposed to east coast bottom up rust) on my various vehicles. Rust will start showing up in other areas so this will just be a bit of practice at some home brew rust hole repair and the paint will match close enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom