question on replacing the belts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got a 72 fj40 with a 350 engine and I'm going through replacing all the fluids, etc. I want to replace the belts b/c they are visibly about to snap but I've never done that before. Is it hard at all? Thanks for any help and I did a search but did not get any results.

oh and here's a pic of my new ride

land.jpg

Serpentine? V-belt, Power steering ?/????? What's your setup? Usually there are two bolts on the alternator. One on top that holds the alternator in place in a slotted bracket and one down on the bottom, loosen them and swing the alternator in the direction towards the fan.It will loosen the belt. Remove & replace then pry the alternator back away from the fan until the belt is pretty tight. You shouldnt be able to turn the fan by hand. Don't make it really really tight because it will ruin the waterpump.then tighten the top bolt in the slot while maintaining pressure then tighten the bottom bolt. If it is serpentine it will have a tension pulley you use a wrench on to de-tension the setup. Replace belt then reapply the tension.

Oh, and not to be mean, Replacing belts is really low on the difficulty level. Owning a cruiser you will be faced with stuff that is one hell of a lot harder than that. Better start reading some maintenance manuals or making friends with a mechanic.

Welcome. Sweet looking Cruiser. Get a copy of the FSM (Factory Service Manual) for your truck. Even a Hayes book will help you get started. Read as many old posts as you can stand to learn some of the jargon here then ask questions. Someone here will have the answer.

hey thanks for the info. Yeah I know it seems pretty easy but I just wanted to be sure.I'm not a total noob ive done a lot of work on bikes just nothing with 4 wheels. :) I have the fj manual but obviously it's for a different engine. I guess ill just get a manual for a 70s chevy b/c that's where this engine came from. Here's exactly what im working with.

CIMG1478.jpg

belts2.jpg

Every accassory (alt and PS) will have a tensioning system...like Coloradoboy said.
you will need to work the belts around the fan, but the belts should have a number on them, so just take the old ones to the auto parts store and get the same belts, work them back around the fan and tension them. You want "some" deflection, usually measured on the longest run of the belt. Too tight and you'll go hard on pump and alternator bearings...too loose and you'll squeal;)
Really no big deal. Be not afraid.

Ed

BTW....Cowboy or Sooner?:D

Degnol said:
Every accassory (alt and PS) will have a tensioning system...like Coloradoboy said.
you will need to work the belts around the fan, but the belts should have a number on them, so just take the old ones to the auto parts store and get the same belts, work them back around the fan and tension them. You want "some" deflection, usually measured on the longest run of the belt. Too tight and you'll go hard on pump and alternator bearings...too loose and you'll squeal;)
Really no big deal. Be not afraid.

Ed

BTW....Cowboy or Sooner?:D

great idea! I did not think of that.. now at least I won't have to guess on the part number!

Actually I don't live in enid by choice (air force). I'm a ramblin' wreck (Georgia Tech). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom