Question about replacing front axle spindle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this may be a dumb question, but here it goes. I ordered a new passenger side spindle because the spindle bearing went bad. When i am replacing the spindle, do i coat the spindle bearing with grease on top of repacking the steering knuckle? Also, when installing the new spindle, do i coat the axle with grease so that the spindle slides in smoothly? thank you all again.

The confusing issue with the spindles running the new combo bushing/bearing is the lube. There's nothing about this in the FSM. because the new set-up wasn't developed until after 1997. In both cases, the bushing is lubed by the moly in the trunnion box and when there was just the old school bushing that's what should be applied inside the spindle around the bushing and beyond.

With the new combo bushing/bearing, the needle bearing would typically be lubed withe wheel bearing grease. Moly is said to lead to the bearing inner parts (the rollers) slipping instead of sliding, perhaps leading to damage.

Beyond that, the spindle should see but maybe the briefest of contacts with the axle that passes through outside the needle bearing and these will be slippinbg, not rolling contacts so happy with moly.

I packed the needle bearing with wheel bearing grease. Then I made sure the bushing was well-lubed with moly. I also made sure the moly went past the needle bearing inside the spindle. So hoping this covers things, as the FSM is no help and many videos tend to not fully address the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom