Purchase advice on this 2008... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I maybe found the one. Amazon Green. 2008. Texas truck its whole life. Super clean. 140k miles. Yes miles are high but I am less concerned about miles. Clean carfax and Well documented service history up to about 110k miles with owner 1. Then it gets weird. Owners 2, 3 and 4 each owned it for less than a year or so. Owner 2 owned it for 8 mos. and 3 and 4 for about a year each. Not much service history since owner 1. A few "electricial systems checked" notations but nothing else alarming. But because it has changed hands so many times in the last few years has me concerned. It seems (maybe) it has issues and that is why the three previous owners kept dumping it? Maybe I am being paranoid? I just don't want to bring home a problem...

Also worth mentioning...only 1 key fob and no owners manuals. A single key fob could be problematic. In addition they aren't cheap to replace/make. Owners manuals...I can retrieve online so not a huge deal I guess but it matters.

Thanks in advance for y'alls input. Cheers.

Guy

Get a PPI, if everything checks out go for it.
The last three owners could have been degenerate car owners like myself who only own a vehicle for a short time. I don't think I've owned a vehicle longer than a year in about 6 years aside from my haggard old BMWs.

Last edited:
I thought I maybe found the one. Amazon Green. 2008. Texas truck its whole life. Super clean. 140k miles. Yes miles are high but I am less concerned about miles. Clean carfax and Well documented service history up to about 110k miles with owner 1. Then it gets weird. Owners 2, 3 and 4 each owned it for less than a year or so. Owner 2 owned it for 8 mos. and 3 and 4 for about a year each. Not much service history since owner 1. A few "electricial systems checked" notations but nothing else alarming. But because it has changed hands so many times in the last few years has me concerned. It seems (maybe) it has issues and that is why the three previous owners kept dumping it? Maybe I am being paranoid? I just don't want to bring home a problem...

Also worth mentioning...only 1 key fob and no owners manuals. A single key fob could be problematic. In addition they aren't cheap to replace/make. Owners manuals...I can retrieve online so not a huge deal I guess but it matters.

Thanks in advance for y'alls input. Cheers.

Guy

First... You don't mention price!

Owner's Manual PDF: 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser Owners Manual and Warranty - Toyota Owners

Without a strong service history, though...and short-term owners (who are less likely to invest in great service) I'd be very careful.

Key Fob will set you back $300 or so with programming...

My bad...I have them at $27.4k as of yesterday evening. Service history is strong up until about 2013 then the history falls off. And that's my biggest hang up. Three short term owners are red flags to me. Like it's too good to be true and there is a reason they bought it and dumped it. And my wife is hung up on the mileage. She wants something with lower miles. I'll admit 140k miles is beyond what I have been considering. Thanks.

Guy

First... You don't mention price!

Owner's Manual PDF: 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser Owners Manual and Warranty - Toyota Owners

Without a strong service history, though...and short-term owners (who are less likely to invest in great service) I'd be very careful.

Key Fob will set you back $300 or so with programming...

I wouldn't necessarily be concerned about service history over the last 3 years. Most local mechanics and even some dealers don't report their work. The biggest risk in 30k miles IMO is that the oil wasn't changed, but if it changed hands 3 times it's at least one or two of the sellers changed the oil if they were a dealership. If you buy it I'd be prepared to do a full fluid swap (diffs, trans, xfer case, oil, brake fluid, etc) if you don't see any evidence of that in the last 60k miles. That will set you back about a grand.

I would be concerned that there are some electrical gremlins that other owners couldn't resolve and decided to dump the vehicle. One short term owner of a 100k vehicle might not concern me, but 3 in a row is definitely a red flag. If you do buy it, be prepared to either spend several grand trying to find and fix one, or be willing to do the same as the other 3 owners and sell it quickly. If you're not willing to spend $ to deal with an electrical issue and don't want to risk taking a few $k loss to get rid of it, then don't pull the trigger

I wouldn't necessarily be concerned about service history over the last 3 years. Most local mechanics and even some dealers don't report their work. The biggest risk in 30k miles IMO is that the oil wasn't changed, but if it changed hands 3 times it's at least one or two of the sellers changed the oil if they were a dealership. If you buy it I'd be prepared to do a full fluid swap (diffs, trans, xfer case, oil, brake fluid, etc) if you don't see any evidence of that in the last 60k miles. That will set you back about a grand.

I would be concerned that there are some electrical gremlins that other owners couldn't resolve and decided to dump the vehicle. One short term owner of a 100k vehicle might not concern me, but 3 in a row is definitely a red flag. If you do buy it, be prepared to either spend several grand trying to find and fix one, or be willing to do the same as the other 3 owners and sell it quickly. If you're not willing to spend $ to deal with an electrical issue and don't want to risk taking a few $k loss to get rid of it, then don't pull the trigger

Thanks. Planned on a baseline no matter the truck, like you said. It's the 3 owners in a row that worry me. Having slept on it, I think I am going to pass. I think there is something going on with the truck hence three owners buying it, learning of the issue and subsequently dumping it. It's definitely a red flag and I don't want to inherit a money pit. I want to find the one and keep it for a looooong time. Thanks again.

Guy

look at the underside of the truck. I remember a buddy looking at an 08 in Houston a year or so ago. it was rusty, and had some body work done. it was beat....and I mean BEAT. The dealer did a great job cleaning it up, but if its the same one, it had some issues.
@jclarke450 still have the VIN for the truck you were looking at?

if it's in Hosuton Area I'm happy to check it out, but agree with the others it bears caution with that many sales in a row on short holds...

E

Thanks I appreciate that. It is in Houston. They have pictures and a link to it now...

Toyota Land Cruiser Used Automotive Inventory - Spring TX Serving College Station Pasadena League City New Caney

Yesterday when I called, they told me it had just been received. Price was $27,991. Salesman called me back and said they could knock $500 off b/c it only has one key fob and is missing all manuals.

I go on their website just now, and it is listed for $26,991. I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy on this truck.

I appreciate your willingness to check it out but my gut is telling me to move on.

if it's in Hosuton Area I'm happy to check it out, but agree with the others it bears caution with that many sales in a row on short holds...

E

I know this isn't a huge deal...but the V8 badge on the tailgate has been removed. Granted it looks cleaner without it but I think this truck has a story behind it.

I may be up that way this afternoon and will check it out if so..... and post pics. Love that color....

I got my Tundra from Planet ford a few years back. It had minor electrical issues, mostly dome lights and power outlets. And the tailgate didn't line up exactly right. no wrecks reported on carfax, but the bet wasn't 100% straight. Minor things. The salesperson quoted the wrong price over the phone, but the sales manager stuck to it. 2k less than advertised. even picked us up at the airport. Bought it and drove back to phoenix. All in all, loved that truck, was difficult to let it go to get my 200. I miss having a truck bed, but absolutely love my 200.

The history is a little weird, but you have to remember it's also almost 9 years old now. I prefer 1 owner cars, but I don't pass up a good deal just based on number of owners alone. The one you're looking at is, in my opinion, one of the best color combos out there, so for me that would add a lot of bonus points. The interior looks to be in really nice shape too which in my experience is rare for the older 200s.

As you say, it is a big red flag for 3 owners in a year. Clean carfax means nothing.

I would spend a few thousand more for something with ~50k less miles and straight history with full maintenance records.

Thanks I appreciate that. It is in Houston. They have pictures and a link to it now...

Toyota Land Cruiser Used Automotive Inventory - Spring TX Serving College Station Pasadena League City New Caney

Yesterday when I called, they told me it had just been received. Price was $27,991. Salesman called me back and said they could knock $500 off b/c it only has one key fob and is missing all manuals.

I go on their website just now, and it is listed for $26,991. I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy on this truck.

I appreciate your willingness to check it out but my gut is telling me to move on.

Another $10k buys you over 100,000 unused miles... (see example truck link I posted earlier 35k miles for $36k). $1k per 10,000 unused miles is an incredible bargain. I think you can do better. OTOH...if it's over budget...it's over budget.

Don't do it- When I was looking over the summer I found a few 2008s or 2009s with around 110k or 120k slightly under $30k. I found a few on cars.com (also try carfax). I also searched for truck near that dealership and found an 09 with 105k miles for $24,000 (2009 Toyota Land Cruiser, $23500 - Cars.com) There are a few more out there, especially as you expand your search.

The truck you posted looks clean for that many miles and years. I can't believe so many owners- 2 short owners and maybe 1 of them was regretting the purchase- but a string? feels weird.

One would think a truck that clean would be well cared for. The fact that someone de-badged it means that they cared how it looks and wanted to do a little customization (unless it was an accident). I can't imagine that type of person unloading it in a year.

If you do decide to do it, the good is that you are around here so if you have some problems you have some support unlike a regular "Joe" who will be shuffling between dealerships (and trading in). Think about that!

If that is the truck I looked at, it has either had the engine replaced or rebuilt. the while background was screwy. that was the color combo I wanted SO bad, but I got a horrible feeling on it. I would have to check my emails to see if it is that one.

Thanks again y'all. But my gut is telling me not to do it. I really want this color combo and there aren't many around....but something about this deal doesn't feel right. Too many owners in such a short time is my primary reason for not doing it. To me that indicates there is a gremlin and none of these owners could sort it out so they all dumped it. The debadged tailgate isn't a big deal but another indicator it's been in the hands of someone that tried to "customize" it. Only one key fob. No owners manuals at all. Too good to be true. Thanks for all y'alls input.

I'll find the right one eventually.....

Update...they just called me. Their mechanics are looking at it again. Salesman wasn't exactly sure but he said something is wrong with the 4wd system...it won't go into 4 lo...his words. He didn't go into details bc I don't think he knows anything about the truck. He said they think it might be a switch and they are going to replace it. Now it's at a Ford dealership mind you...and they are replacing switches as I type this...according to the salesman. Reinforcing why I am not pulling the trigger on this one. It needs to go to a nearby Toyota dealership but they don't seem willing to do this. Anyway I am staying away from this one even though it hurts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom