Propeller mount vs bellhousing mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright so what are some pros and cons of a propeller style mount like AA sells for v8 conversions? I've done some searching and haven't come up with much more than, some are prone to leaking and they can reduce the amount of twist? put on the transfercase. I'm not entirely positive I understand that last part but on my truck I'm running and old downy adapter that has some provisions for bell housing mounts but I would have to fab those myself so I'm trying to figure out which would be the better design.

Can you take pics of your bell housing provisions. Im not familiar with what you describe. Are running a 3 or 4 speed?

I’m running a 4 speed with an old Downey adapter. In another thread he told me that these bolt holes above and below the pivot arm window where originally for mounts that were never put into production.

C91E96E5-CA94-4134-808D-89F48BBDDD84.jpeg

I answered this a zillion times, and will now do it again. Guys with V8's were cracking Chevy bellhousings when the engine was mounted at the bellhousing. Why, because (1) Landcruiser bellhousings have a 3/8" wall thickness (scatter shield), and Chevy bellhousings have a 3/16" wall thickness, and (2) the Landcruiser transfer-case is a "torque twister" design, power enters, makes an immediate right turn, and this wants to twist the transfer-case around in a circle behind the transmission. The cracked bellhousings were not cracked around their circumference (crack from unsupported span), they were cracked front to rear, starting at a bolt hole/pattern (crack from twisting). That is precisely why we designed the propeller shaft motor mount design, to grab the transfer-case at the point of twisting (directly behind the transmission) and lock it into the frame rails- - -then guys quit cracking Chevy bellhousings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom