Project re-seal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm planning on redoing the seals on my engine and oil pan soon. Have had some slow leaks that I should have already addressed. One question I thought of was for the oil pump. I've had zero issues, but was curious to people's thoughts on whether that's something good to replace while in there. I'm 99/9% sure the current pump is the original one (it only has 20k miles on it)....but also realize a 44yr old pump is still really old. Should I put a new one in while I have the pan off?

Thanks

Bump. I’m wondering the same thing for my 1981. Planning a full engine reseal and whatever’s necessary while I’m in there for next summer and wondering if I should replace this as PM. 123k miles on mine.

These oil pumps last a good, long time. IIRC, there's a bit in the FSM where you measure the wear on the gears with a feeler to determine if it needs replacement. But, one of those 2 gears can be flipped to give new life to it.

They're pretty durable, so I think most keep vs replace. The FSM has the specs to check it...if it checks out, no reason not to run it IMHO.

<<Funny, simu-reply of the same answer, I was too slow>>

Screen Shot 2021-11-07 at 10.06.39 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom