project Phoenix parts list

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.marksoffroad.net
Using my catalog as a handy reference tool, here’s how I see things at this point:

010-Engine electrical. We will run a systems check on the charging system and ignition before we pull the engine out and post needs up if there are any.

030-Engine. At some point Gene and I will have to fire the engine and make sure all systems are go before we pull it for the transplant.

040-Cooling-we’ll also have to make sure the radiator wasn’t damaged in the roll, and make provisions to repair or replace it if it was.

050-Fuel. The gas tank is the biggest issue here. I think someone has an LV gas tank they offered me a couple of months ago, but I can’t remember who it was. This is something that needs to be acquired, since I think Gene said his was toast.

070-Clutch. Should be good to go here.

080-Transmission. I’m gonna lean heavily on Georg here, as it sounds like the donors are in his neck of the woods, and he’ll be able to take a look inside the boxes and see if they’re worth putting new gaskets and seals in. If someone [or a few peeps for that matter] would like to put a hand into helping Georg get the trans and tfr cleaned and prepped for the voyage down to L.A., I’m sure he wouldn’t mind a hand. You might even have your own work party to prep those and the axles.

090-Tcase. See above

100-Rear axle. See above

101-Driveshafts. I talked briefly with Georg about this and the last thing I want to see is us putting upgraded axles under Gene’s truck with the original shafts sporting those 8mm driveshaft bolts. So I’m hoping we can come up with a couple of 74 thru 84 driveshafts that we can use for the project. I’ll take measurements of Gene’s existing drivelines and post measurements. From there we can calculate the lengths the new shafts would need to be to accommodate a 4 speed power train.

110-Front axle. Anyone who can help Georg with acquiring some disc brake conversion parts, please contact him asap.

120-Steering. I’m hoping we can transplant all of Gene’s old parts to the new LV, as I remember the steering being in very good shape.

130-Suspension. I will try and put an eye on the springs when I’m up at Gene’s pulling the engine. This is something we might have to put a few $$ out on, but if so, we’ll prolly get a good break on SOR on some replacements. AND NO! SOA is NOT an option!

140-Brakes. Georg has indicated he’d like a disc brake conversion to happen on the front. FWIW, I don’t care what kind of axles show up at the party, as long as they’re ready to install, or reasonably close to it. If we go the disc brake route, then I’d like to have a power booster and new master cylinder along to go with it. With fitment issues in the LV being a concern, a smaller [think pre’76] booster and an FJ60 type MC would prolly be the best combo. If anyone can contribute those parts in known working condition, that would be great. We will also need axle junctions front and rear for the brake lines, as well as at least one frame junction from a 71 and newer FJ55 to cover the span from the front of the frame to the rear.

150-Body. Once Gene and Georg have a better idea of what is and isn’t included in the donor rig, they can add notes on what is needed here.
160-electrical. Knowing that Kurt over at SOR just went thru the wiring harness, I think I’d almost rather go thru the hassle of swapping harnesses over rather than playing the mystery game of finding out what works on the donor harness. The only thing I remember Gene being short of on the electrical side is the wiper motors, which have been consistently missing and a source of concern to me since he bought the truck.

On behalf of Gene, I thank you one and all for your generous contributions to a very worthy cause.

List for the moment:

030-UPDATE:2F oil pan
040-radiator-maybe-update, YES needed. Per Georg, one will be provided by TLC in Van Nuys!
050-LV gas tank-update-being soldered to reuse. UPDATE: DONE!!!
UPDATE: need 2 foot section of exhaust pipe FROM A flanged header application
080-a 4 speed would be nice.UPDATE: DONE! THANKS GEORG!
UPDATE: 4 Speed bellhousing
090--a t case conversion or 4 speed case to go with the trans. UPDATE: DONE THANKS GEORG!
100-rear axle with rebuilt wheel cylinders: UPDATE: REAR DISC BRAKE AXLE PENDING; THANKS GEORG!
101-74thru84 driveshafts. UPDATE: DONE! THANKS GEORGE!
110-disc brake compatible front axle assembly-UPDATE-DONE! THANKS GEORG!
130-springs-maybe
140-FJ40 small booster, FJ60 master, axle junction fittings, frame union.UPDATE-core coming from rabid; backup from kelly o
150-body panels as listed by Gene. UPDATE-also need side view mirrors.UPDATE-MIRRORS COMING FROM GOEBLER! THANKS ERIC

Last edited:
Mark, I had a place up here build some OEM-like replacements for my SWB, they even used metric stock. If you can get me a sample, I'll spring to have them fab'd. (punny) and ship back. Their turnround was pretty quick, like a week or so.
Hope you pull the rabbit out again, you wascally majician you!

Here is what I have to donate. Per another thread Georg started

73 Booster
83 Master Cylinder

A set of 4 tires. 33 9.50 15 (from Dave Zartman, Toyota 4wd Owner Magazine)
(possibly 5 disc brake wheels)

a set of 4 stock springs (if needed)

Disc Brake Knuckles

I would also like to donate a rear disc brake conversion kit from my business.. Gene, let me know what you think. I want to make your brakes a non-issue moving forward..

More stuff to come as I search through my cruiser parts cave.

Spector Proximity to Gene or Marks Shop??

Guys,
I had a thought...How close is Marv's shop to either Gene's or Marks shop? The reason I ask is that if it is close, a nice option for some folks may be to purchase some stuff for Gene's project through Spector and have someone pick it up. I have something in mind for the project but shipping would be painful.
I live in the midwest. Too far away to help with labor. But a purchase through Spector would make it easy for me to contribute. I have always liked that place and know they have a geat selection of stuff.

Just a thought...I keep looking at my 45 and then Gene's pictures. I know of a few odd parts that he will be needing beyond the obvious.

Goebs

side note.......I have no relation to SOR, just like to buy cruiser crap there!

Guys,
I had a thought...How close is Marv's shop to either Gene's or Marks shop? The reason I ask is that if it is close, a nice option for some folks may be to purchase some stuff for Gene's project through Spector and have someone pick it up. I have something in mind for the project but shipping would be painful.
I live in the midwest. Too far away to help with labor. But a purchase through Spector would make it easy for me to contribute. I have always liked that place and know they have a geat selection of stuff.

Just a thought...I keep looking at my 45 and then Gene's pictures. I know of a few odd parts that he will be needing beyond the obvious.

Goebs

side note.......I have no relation to SOR, just like to buy cruiser crap there!

It's a 20 to 30 minute drive with no traffic.

Perfect! I will assume someone can pickup a rather large and wide part for me and bring it to Marks or Gene's. I surely don't want to impose but might need to....
Thanks,
Goebs

regarding the 101 deal, front driveshafts should be easy but where are you expecting to find a rear 74-85 rear driveshaft the correct length for the 45LV? I have a rear from a 75 FJ40 I will donate but it will need to be lengthed.

I am game to head up and help out for the weekend.

[quotecruiserbrett] regarding the 101 deal, front driveshafts should be easy but where are you expecting to find a rear 74-85 rear driveshaft the correct length for the 45LV? I have a rear from a 75 FJ40 I will donate but it will need to be lengthed.

I am game to head up and help out for the weekend. [end quote]

Brett, assuming that Gene's stock driveshaft is the correct length, shouldn't we be able to just subtract 3.5" for the extra length of the 4 speed and call it good? Or is it 3&5/8ths?

Goebs, I can arrange a trip out there a day or two before. We do business on a fairly regular basis these days. Both ways.;)

Best

Mark A.

If an FJ45LV rear shaft is needed I am willing to offer my spare, it's from an LV so it's the smaller bolts. It will need new "U" joints and I don't know if I still have the short end or not. I could drop it off in Stockton on June 9-10. Let me know.

I am looking to see what small parts are still needed. Can someone post up a list of misc. crap that would be helpful to the project. Even if they are above and beyond the original scope. I had a fun idea that I wanted to add to the project,, but understand that Gene may have a different plan with respect to that item. So I am looking for something that folks have not thought of.

Need help guys! I can't make the trip out, but can open the wallet. I just have no clue as to how to help. I am dying to call SOR and place an order.

Goebs

Is this list up to date?

Just updated it with what I know so far. Still waiting to hear on the axles, transmission and the body tub itself.

i have a 4spd, t-case and driveshafts for the build. the geartrain was donated by dreamin' on here, the driveshafts along with the fj55 axles got donated by andrew fletcher on here. the transmission and t-case will be resealed and ready to run. the axles will be gone thru and will be converted to 4 wheel disc brakes. i already have most of the components to finish everything here. the driveshafts will be shortened/lengthened and balanced as well.

so you can cross all that crap off your list mark! :flipoff2:

i have a 4spd, t-case and driveshafts for the build. the geartrain was donated by dreamin' on here, the driveshafts along with the fj55 axles got donated by andrew fletcher on here. the transmission and t-case will be resealed and ready to run. the axles will be gone thru and will be converted to 4 wheel disc brakes. i already have most of the components to finish everything here. the driveshafts will be shortened/lengthened and balanced as well.

so you can cross all that crap off your list mark! :flipoff2:

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

list updated again.:)

Bummer, I have like 4 4 speed BH's sitting in the yard that could have gone off with the LV :(

Anyone making their way out here between now and the party?

you need some more updating done there holmes! ;)

here's a list of the things i will bring with me to the rebuild:

1) front axle with disc brake conversion and rebuilt knuckles; new wheel bearings, hard brake lines and braided stainless brake lines to go to the frame. this will be ready to install and run.

2) rear axle with disc brakes ( if they get here in the next 3 weeks; being donated by bull ) also comes with hard and braided brake lines to reach the frame. ready to install and run.

3) 4 spd trans in good used shape, ready to install and run.

4) 4 spd t-case. i'm going to have this resealed and ready to install and run by the time we get there. it'll also have and ebrake and t-case saver on it.

5) front and rear driveshafts, set up for proper length and balanced,painted. these will be ready to install and run as well.

6) 4spd bell housing. cleaned and painted, ready to install. includes required hardware.

i have most of the components listed above at the shop already, we just need to go thru them and make sure everything is there and then re-assemble/rebuild/reseal/paint everything.

one thing i need to know is what you guys want to do about the t-case shift linkage. i don;t have any linkage for the t-case and no shifter knob for the 4spd trans.

List for the moment:

040-radiator-maybe-update, YES needed. Per Georg, one will be provided by TLC in Van Nuys!

gene, you need to call chris @ the TLC parts department and he'll hook you up with a new radiator and hoses compliments of TLC and jonathan ward. thanks again jonathan!!!!!!!!!!! :beer:

so mark, you can cross that off your list as well.

last but not leasy, i have a brand new set of suspension bushings sitting here as well. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom