Project 1964 FJ40 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jomelo

SILVER Star
Threads
I just recently learned of the FJ25 group and the inclusion of “early” 40 models. I’m a newbie to the 40 series after owning a few 60’s, 70’s, 80’s and 200’s. I came across this late 1963 build, 1964 model FJ40 and figured it wasn’t too rough. I’m not sure of my general build direction so I may just spend some time getting organized. The hard top is in really decent condition. A prior owner did fabricate some type of fiberglass setup in the hardtop cap so he could install some speakers. This appears to have occurred circa 1980’s. I’m probably going to need to find another cap.

Oh and at some point a later model F engine was installed.

A989FB47-826D-49DC-B1B1-D2046148A39E.jpeg

It does have the original PTO winch in working condition. That’s pretty cool.

789D63AD-5B14-46B0-BF5C-D7D996E138D7.jpeg
8DB92D03-7AFC-48A7-877F-87A26B9943C9.jpeg

Anyone ever seen this type of setup? It’s a fuel carrier/rear tire carrier. It was mounted on the rear quarter panels. I originally thought it was some type of homemade setup but the build quality seems too nice for that. It is made to swingout so you can still open the rear doors.

DD35BDEA-1B96-488D-98BB-747892235072.jpeg

It appears the original color is something close to Spring Green. The prior owner recovered the seats in some cloth. Not really a big deal considering all the other items that need replacing.

B4E4F1B4-E8C8-47E2-AA67-B508DAC8BC59.jpeg

I also own a 1974 FJ40 that I was going to build. I’m pretty sure the wife will only let me get away with keeping one of them. I thought it would be the 74 model but this one is pretty cool.

kayline and conferr both made tire/can carriers like that.

kayline and conferr both made tire/can carriers like that.
Thank you. I just found another thread with a Kayline carrier that matches up exactly the same. Obviously, I would rather not have the thing since it means my rear quarters have the holes drilled in them

We loaded up the 40 this afternoon and took it to the shop to get started. Hopefully will be able to start updating the thread with some routine. The first step will be tearing it down and sending the body to the paint shop while the frame and drivetrain get a refresh of sorts. I am going to try to keep the exterior and interior as stock as possible, while adding some disc brakes and other updates as needed. I also have a 1HZ diesel and 5-speed that very well may end up in the truck. At least that’s the plan for now.

F1F9B4F0-62A6-4317-AB90-3FA8B709802F.jpeg

I haven't followed any of those threads so am not directly familiar with the challenges the 1HZ presents, but it would be a great drivetrain if you can shoehorn it in. Either way, Ill be following along, best wishes with the build

I haven't followed any of those threads so am not directly familiar with the challenges the 1HZ presents, but it would be a great drivetrain if you can shoehorn it in. Either way, Ill be following along, best wishes with the build
I just got caught up on your build thread. Looks great.

The 1HZ is certainly a little long, but manageable. I’ve been toying with another idea but not sure if that will pan out or not. I still have a little time before we have to really nail down the drivetrain. My painter works slow......

9B049E11-B77A-4E11-817F-012358D8CDCF.jpeg
Spent the afternoon organizing a few boxes of goodies from @beno. I should now have almost every piece of weatherstrip available, along with all emblems, mirrors and other odds and ends. I should have some photos from the painter in a few days - in completely dissamebled state. Thanks @beno!

Alright, back on this project again. I ultimately decided I had a pretty solid truck on my hands and would probably regret doing a resto-mod type build with the 1HZ. I’ve been slowly sourcing some parts here and there. Big thanks to @Tank5 for the early running boards. Cannot wait to get them.

The body is now off the frame and at the paint shop. (The large in-original hope in dash next to the cluster was for a tach and we are going to fill that in).

39B2E785-EF3F-479F-AE1D-C7061A8CD1AA.jpeg
D723B376-A9D3-4CD2-930B-84FEF477D306.jpeg
CBCF2495-B470-4103-864E-74757462C81A.jpeg
D2DB684C-5666-41C8-AE0C-4DC9C798A850.jpeg

I am still learning a great deal about these early trucks. This rig has a floor shift 3-speed with a working factory PTO winch setup. I thought these trucks had column shift but maybe that’s not the case?

FE448188-A0BA-478E-883B-3F5B9BD10775.jpeg
EEAFBF6E-F8A2-4862-A26B-01E1AA1337B1.jpeg

I am still learning a great deal about these early trucks. This rig has a floor shift 3-speed with a working factory PTO winch setup. I thought these trucks had column shift but maybe that’s not the case?

View attachment 1789665 View attachment 1789666
Nice Cruiser! It did come with a column shifter, the three speed floor shift is a common upgrade. Converting it back shouldn't be that hard, you just need to find the parts.
What color are you going to paint it?

Nice Cruiser! It did come with a column shifter, the three speed floor shift is a common upgrade. Converting it back shouldn't be that hard, you just need to find the parts.
What color are you going to paint it?
Good to know. The original color appears to be Spring Green based upon what I saw inside the doors.

More bling arrived a few days ago. Obviously, still a long way away but I'm working on tracking down as many pieces as possible when time allows. I ordered a total of 5, including 1 for the spare. Should look really nice.

fullsizeoutput_a69.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom