Power Steering Fluid Disappearing ?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

My 60 is losing power steering fluid but I can’t tell where it is leaking from. I have to refill the reservoir after only 25 miles or so. (Driveway is a mess!) there is fluid all over leaf spring and lower parts of the truck. I am hoping for some ideas for an easy fix like a lose hose clamp. I don’t know anything about steering systems. Suggestions are welcomed. Photos show where fluid is dripping, except the reservoir is clean/no fluid.

4B5942EA-1CD7-4467-863F-17C7C2A857FE.jpeg

42ABF420-442F-4C14-950D-DFCCDB2585EC.jpeg

7ED1E2E8-AF84-4A63-8BC7-489549FDE738.jpeg

461A0BCB-A554-4AC1-A71D-0BAF65C9DCD2.jpeg

D628F6BB-2370-402D-B224-0FFE5F297185.jpeg

how can you see on the pictures where the leak is , you are closer to the source
wash it add some infrared color dye to the fluid and you can spot where the leak is

What he said

Odd one I had (ford) it was foaming the fluid and coming out past the cap

Mine was leaking all over the place too. I never pin pointed the leak position. I did the Saginaw conversion and took care of all the issues. Valley Hybrids was a great resource for parts and information. From what I remember researching, rebuilding the existing power steering was futile and replacing the pump was going to be fairly pricey. Saginaw with lines and bracket was close to the price of a new pump but for future work it seemed easier if the Saginaw was to go out. No a super challenging project but really helped clean up my driveway.

Old pumps frequently leak around the spinning pulley shaft. While the shaft spins, it flings the oil everywhere

Thanks for the suggestions. Today, Saturday, will see me crawling around underneath to see what I can find. It sounds like the fix may be beyond my ability.

Yea, the mess in the photos only show where the leak is spraying fluid. My problem is I can’t find/see the source of the leak. Still looking. . .

Mine was leaking all over the place too. I never pin pointed the leak position. I did the Saginaw conversion and took care of all the issues. Valley Hybrids was a great resource for parts and information. From what I remember researching, rebuilding the existing power steering was futile and replacing the pump was going to be fairly pricey. Saginaw with lines and bracket was close to the price of a new pump but for future work it seemed easier if the Saginaw was to go out. No a super challenging project but really helped clean up my driveway.
Good point about possibly needing a conversion. Roughly speaking, what did that cost if you remember?

Old pumps frequently leak around the spinning pulley shaft. While the shaft spins, it flings the oil everywhere
This sounds spot on. I have not crawled under with motor on (and all safety measures in place of course. . .) I think that is the thing to do next. Your description of “. . . oil everywhere. “ is definitely what seems in play here.

This sounds spot on. I have not crawled under with motor on (and all safety measures in place of course. . .) I think that is the thing to do next. Your description of “. . . oil everywhere. “ is definitely what seems in play here.
Is there a corresponding spray mark on the underside of the hood above the PS pump? With fresh fluid leaking at that rate you should see a significant and cleanish wet spot somewhere. These PS pumps are old, they leak everywhere.

Also maybe the low pressure return line is brittle and cracked, it's the rubber line that is clamped at the PS pump reservoir. Both my high and low side lines were brittle and shot and the fittings leaked at the steering box, replaced both. The high side line is a freakin' job to replace, low side is easy.

If it’s in your budget, buy some oil based UV fluorescent die and a black light. I think
I got mine from Tooltopia or Zoro Tools.

The way it’s dripping on the leaf spring, frame, and drag link my bet is the leak is at the steering gear box. Pretty common. Have it rebuilt by redhead steering gear or do it your self if you have the tools and time.

If anyone cares about the status of this, I was driving htis truck for last week while my father has been out of town. In 6 days it went through 1.5 quarters of fluid, and has a (unlikely related) rough idle. He is planning on taking it to IPOR soon to have it investigated. Stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom