Power Steering - Difficult turning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is the noise it makes when turning, very difficult to turn to the right, easier to turn to the left. Upper hose appears to have been replaced because it says gates, can't get a really good shot of the high pressure hose. If you notice in the video, there are some droplets of liquid behind the axel, it appears reddish in nature which makes me believe it's not from the axel but the power steering. It is really really difficult to turn at low speeds such as in a parking lot but it is okay on the road.

Here is the video of the noise, also I know the noise may sound like the tires but it does appear to make it at some turns even at lower speeds, just hard to capture on footage when driving:

Attached is a picture of the fluid after it's hot, milky looking with air bubbles which means air is getting into the system

Should I start with the pump or high pressure hose or the steering gear box rebuild? Yes I know this car looks abused, trying to fix that.

IMG_2080[1].JPG

Last edited:
That ATF in the res looks contaminated. Looks like strawberry milkshake. Have you flushed the system with fresh ATF?

That ATF in the res looks contaminated. Looks like strawberry milkshake. Have you flushed the system with fresh ATF?
Haven't done a complete flush, just slowly replacing it I was hesitant to do a full flush after noticing the leakage, it definitely needs to be changed though

Also the fluid settles when it is cold, it's not always milky like that.. only after starting the car and steering. Normally it's just dark red, it was really dark before but like I said, replacing slowly through top reservoir.

Definitely getting air in the system, or the pump is cavitating.

Have you tried bleeding it? Lift both front wheels off the ground and turn the steering lock to lock ten times with the vehical off. Then start the engine and repeat.
If there is air trapped that will get rid of it. If you are getting new air into the system you'll need to rebuild.

Have you tried bleeding it? Lift both front wheels off the ground and turn the steering lock to lock ten times with the vehical off. Then start the engine and repeat.
If there is air trapped that will get rid of it. If you are getting new air into the system you'll need to rebuild.
I will try this, thanks, the steering knuckles are also pretty bad, so it could be combination of issues going on

update, kept purging the P/S Fluid and did this, it turns very smoothly now... onto the next problem.. oil leak, thank you for your help

Would have to agree with JunkCRZ89r
FLush out that old Strawberry Milkshake.

Easy job.
Front end on stands
Disconnect the inlet hose to PSR and into drain bucket. Maybe easy to attach larger hose for extension.
Fill PSR to top new fluid.
Gently turn wheel L/R without engine running. Found this worked to control the flow of fluids. Turning the wheel 1 side will need to fill reservoir.
Hint have some one help. They slowly turn wheel. You fill PSR.
You will know when the milk shake is gone and clean fluid is running into bucket. HINT use a clear tube extension.
Reconnect and fill to MAX line.
Run engine and turn wheels side to side.
Recheck reservoir

May want to Baseline all the fluids on the 80

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom