Power source in Glovebox for Midland radio? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a Midland radio and I want to mount the head unit in the glovebox. Is there a good source of power in or around that area? Anyone got any mounting suggestions?

No, as all communication radio need to be wired directly to battery to reduce potential interference.

There are voltage switch you can buy to automatically turn the radio off when the battery goes below a certain voltage.
The radio can be powered by a cigarette lighter so I know I can hard wire it anywhere I’d like in the car. I was just wondering if there are any easy power sources to use in the glove box area.

There's no power taps anywhere along the right side of the dash and cockpit that I know of. The nearest will be the center console/ashtray bin. You can pop of the center console and tap into the 12 VDC cigarette lighter wires or run a wire through the firewall to your battery.
I did my Yaesu FTM 400XDR radio straight to my second auxiliary battery. I wanted to bypass the ignition because there are times when I want to be monitoring my radio that would be the only accessory on and not have all the vehicles accessories on, draining the battery.
When off roading, sometimes you may get to a meeting location and just sit there while you monitor your radio as people are getting within range.
If you do want to hard wire it, a relatively easy through junction is along the steering column.

There's no power taps anywhere along the right side of the dash and cockpit that I know of. The nearest will be the center console/ashtray bin. You can pop of the center console and tap into the 12 VDC cigarette lighter wires or run a wire through the firewall to your battery.
I did my Yaesu FTM 400XDR radio straight to my second auxiliary battery. I wanted to bypass the ignition because there are times when I want to be monitoring my radio that would be the only accessory on and not have all the vehicles accessories on, draining the battery.
When off roading, sometimes you may get to a meeting location and just sit there while you monitor your radio as people are getting within range.
If you do want to hard wire it, a relatively easy through junction is along the steering column.
Didn’t think about that. That might be the way to go. Thanks!

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom