Possibly buying a 75 series troopy - would love advice (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Letter of compliance for what? I've never heard of this. What is being complied with?

We are talking about California registration.....seems totally different ftom the rest of the US

Well, looks like my Aussie seller is having a heck of time getting the rig registered in CA.

Apparently, his hang up after multiple attempts is acquiring a letter from Toyota for compliance. Toyota wont issue a letter without physically seeing the rig and the seller doesn't have the time to go through any more hoops. He is now opting to sell it out of state.

Does anyone know if its actually possible to have a 1990 HJ75 legally registered in CA? I personally haven't seen any plated in CA - only out of state...

Any advice?

I registered my BJ70 in CA with no problems back in 2014. Let me do some research to see if they've changed regulations, but I doubt it. It is thought to be harder to import direct into CA and it might be easier to import into another state, title there and then bring into CA. I'll post back soon (ish) with links to the rules and regulations you need to work with for registering in CA.

Last edited:
So upon some digging, they have changed the vehicle verification form (helps I have the original form for comparison). The wording on the new form no longer states any vehicle older than 25 years does not require federal certification labels. The new form states any vehicle 1970 and newer needs the US Federal certification labels.

CA did not change the smog exemption for diesels older than 1997, so that's good news.

"Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles 1997 year model and older or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline powered vehicles 1975 and older." --CA DMV

Interesting tidbit from CARB (California Air Resources Board) regarding importing a vehicle directly to CA.

1979 model year and older vehicles with original-equipment diesel engines are exempt from Direct Import lab testing requirements. Please note that any vehicle converted to operate on diesel fuel is subject to lab testing requirements if it is a 1968 model year vehicle or newer.

So in California it seems unlikely to be able to register a non-US vehicle due to the new year requirements for US Federal Certification Labels.

BUT....

bare with me, I'm a bit of a policy wonk.

The DOT (US Department of Transportation) still states for a non-US vehicle to be imported to the US it must meet standards XYZ EXCEPT if they are a vehicle older than 25 years old, "This prohibition applies to both new and used motor vehicles, but does not apply to motor vehicles that are at least 25 years old (based on the month and year of manufacture)." --NHTSA 2015

So keeping in mind the Supremacy Clause, the clause in the US Constitution, which (boiled down) states, Federal law overcomes state law. This is why California has to apply for an exemption from federal EPA air standards to have stricter standards. Even with the exemption, CA has looser standards in regards to diesel vehicles older than 1997.

So, and this is where the wonk comes out, shouldn't a diesel vehicle older than 25 years be able to be registered in CA even if it doesn't have federal certification labels because the federal government itself does not require them? As it stands, CA's requirement for US Federal Certification Labels on vehicles newer than 1970 goes against Federal regulation, which supersedes state law.

I'm calling my representative in CA within the next couple of days to inquire about this, more for fun and I'm intrigued, I'll report any findings.

But as of right now, from what I have found, CA is going against federal law, which is illegal.

Last edited:
Part of me wants to make the ins and outs of registering a diesel and import vehicle in CA its own thread. I may.

How feasible is it to convert a front leaf sprung 75 to a coil spring front end like on the 78's? I am wondering because I was hoping to bring in a 78 (1999 to 2002) but they are more expensive and there isn't as many of those as the older 75's. I don't have a whole lot of money and the reason I like the 78's was for the coil springs up front which you can make into a nice ride, not now but maybe later down the road if I have more money. Although I don't like the 5 stud wheels of the 78, and I have read that the gear boxes in the 78's aren't as good as the 75's.

Part of me wants to make the ins and outs of registering a diesel and import vehicle in CA its own thread. I may.
Probably a good idea. As it relates to this issue, I would not necessarily say that the federal government’s failure to require certifications for 25-year old vehicles does not mean California cannot require the certifications. The Clean Air Act preempts all states other than California from regulating new car emissions. But there is no preemption for used cars so California may enact and enforce more stringent standards than those set forth in federal law.

Probably a good idea. As it relates to this issue, I would not necessarily say that the federal government’s failure to require certifications for 25-year old vehicles does not mean California cannot require the certifications. The Clean Air Act preempts all states other than California from regulating new car emissions. But there is no preemption for used cars so California may enact and enforce more stringent standards than those set forth in federal law.

But California's waiver from Federal standards in regards to the CAA is one that must be applied for.

"California succeeded—and dramatically so. California is written into the Clean Air Act by name: At any time, it can ask the EPA administrator for a waiver to restrict tailpipe pollution more stringently than the federal government. If its proposed rules are “at least as protective of public health and welfare” as the EPA’s, then the administrator must grant the waiver.

This power is reserved alone for California, and it only covers pollution from cars. No other state can ask for a waiver. (In all of federal law, this might be the only time that a specific state is given special authority under such a major statute.)" --Nice coverage from the Atlantic 2017

So with that in mind, I understand that some states and local governments have enacted stricter standards than the federal government, but usually on small scale issues.

My argument for how California is acting in an illegal manner when it comes to vehicles 25 or older, is that that can be seen as an interstate commerce issue and that is strictly the federal governments realm.

I'll compile this for a separate thread so we stop steering this one off topic :ninja:

My argument for how California is acting in an illegal manner when it comes to vehicles 25 or older, is that that can be seen as an interstate commerce issue and that is strictly the federal governments realm.

I'll compile this for a separate thread so we stop steering this one off topic :ninja:

PM sent.

How feasible is it to convert a front leaf sprung 75 to a coil spring front end like on the 78's? I am wondering because I was hoping to bring in a 78 (1999 to 2002) but they are more expensive and there isn't as many of those as the older 75's. I don't have a whole lot of money and the reason I like the 78's was for the coil springs up front which you can make into a nice ride, not now but maybe later down the road if I have more money. Although I don't like the 5 stud wheels of the 78, and I have read that the gear boxes in the 78's aren't as good as the 75's.

Very easy if you have the right tools and know what you are doing. I could do it in a weekend but I have plasma cutter, mig welding machine, digital levels and angle finders, etc etc. I have also done a lot of suspension fab before. Cutting 80-series stuff off a frame and welding it to a 70 frame is all a guy has to do. That is if you have an 80-series rolling chassis on hand.

Cheers

Howdy fellow Troopy/Baja fans.

I saw this Troopy and met the seller over the weekend. We're finalizing the deal now. My plan is to register it in Washington state (I have an address and license there).

Where am I on the spectrum of good idea to bad idea?

(also if anyone wants to buy my HJ60 let me know, it's cheap and will be a bit of a project)

Howdy fellow Troopy/Baja fans.

I saw this Troopy and met the seller over the weekend. We're finalizing the deal now. My plan is to register it in Washington state (I have an address and license there).

Where am I on the spectrum of good idea to bad idea?

(also if anyone wants to buy my HJ60 let me know, it's cheap and will be a bit of a project)

Just curious what you expect to get from this truck that your 60 can't do for you. What would the 60 be like if you put the Troopy money into it instead?

@Tennessee Jed ..... "What would the 60 be like if you put the Troopy money into it instead?"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would still be a 60 Series and even those with marginal math skills know that 70 is greater than 60. :)

It's a good question and something I really deliberated on. Challenge with my 60 is there's just not quite enough space for two to camp out of the wagon. Ideally we'd have room to sleep up top and room to lounge (in inclement weather) inside. Right now we have to sleep in a tent.

I have a high roof, and there are no pop-top options. The high-roof also makes it awkward to to put a RTT up top. It's doable but it would be pretty tall.

Solution? Troopy. I'd been hoping to get my hands on one with a 1hz and an alu-cab or trakka top but those are hard to come by. Maybe I'll go nuts and put a top on this one. If not a RTT.

From past dealings with Cali DMVs there really is no "ins and outs" of getting a diesel accepted....
It really comes down to the person on the other side of the desk.....the weather that day, alighnment of the stars...etc.
Some go almost to easy......some are terrible. Especially if your trying to register it for the first time in this country...that my friend is sometimes harder than hitting the lottery.....twice....
My suggestion if you a Californian and are importing or trying to register an out of country diesel cruiser yourself....useless your one of those lucky people who find a $20 bill on the ground once a week..every week..talk to an agent...vehicle import agent.... I have had 4 diesel cruisers .... and as stated above...there getting smarter and a lot of people are getting denied.... it really helps to get it registered in another state first......ANY STATE...

After all your talking about a state that just SLAPPED it's residents who already have one of the most expensive fuel costs, with a 15c a gallon gas tax and 21c diesel tax....no voting...just BAMM!!!
We are in the mits of trying to get enough votes to have it repealed. Guess that's what you get for electing an exgovener the you almost impeached last time he was governor.....now who are the dumb asses??

It's a good question and something I really deliberated on. Challenge with my 60 is there's just not quite enough space for two to camp out of the wagon. Ideally we'd have room to sleep up top and room to lounge (in inclement weather) inside. Right now we have to sleep in a tent.

I have a high roof, and there are no pop-top options. The high-roof also makes it awkward to to put a RTT up top. It's doable but it would be pretty tall.

Solution? Troopy. I'd been hoping to get my hands on one with a 1hz and an alu-cab or trakka top but those are hard to come by. Maybe I'll go nuts and put a top on this one. If not a RTT.

Nice to see you moving forward :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom