Possible cause of door "speaker" buzz or rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CloudCity

LuxCruisers
Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
I had my rear door panels off again last night to refoam my speakers since I had the wrong size kit last time I went in and could therefore only do the fronts. What was odd was one of my front doors that did have the correct sized foam recently installed was also buzzing when there was a bass-heavy track playing. I took it off again and had a look, expecting a loose screw on the grille or a rubbing wire but it turned out that the buzzing was being caused by the door pocket bouncing around. On the backside of the panel with it removed you will see it was attached only with a yellowish seam sealer-type epoxy, which cracks or breaks loose with age allowing the door pocket to vibrate. You could probably diagnose this without removing the door panel by reaching your hand into the pocket and see if there is any movement, even at one end or the other, before you make the effort to remove.

I originally put foam between the plastic parts and taped it up but I'm going to go buy more seam sealer and repair it the factory way. Anyway figured this might help some folks who are chasing a "blown speaker" that can't be resolved.

I have had good luck with Plastic Welder from JB weld. Stuff holds like crazy with any plastic I have used it on. Only thing it turns kinda milky yellow but man it holds up great, good flex and rock solid bond. I have used it on roof top boxes with great results...

81p1DyW2wiL._SL1500_.jpg

I have had good luck with Plastic Welder from JB weld. Stuff holds like crazy with any plastic I have used it on. Only thing it turns kinda milky yellow but man it holds up great, good flex and rock solid bond. I have used it on roof top boxes with great results...

Thanks man, I'll try that instead! Did you find the set and cure times shown to be accurate? The color you describe is pretty much what's in there now.

My experience here the non-humid west... it set up quick and was rock solid. The times were accurate in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom