Pork chop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
weekend chop - trimming the fat.

any guesses?

079B1D70-8787-41A1-B9CF-C68B35610BB2.jpeg

I wanted to move this over from another thread on "spare tire" options

background: picked up an $1800 80series that i wanted to make more camper-expo-overland oriented - did the raised roof/troopy thing for starters:
4344BA6D-10CA-4043-8769-4F76AEA2970E.jpeg

FBC8B9EB-839A-4962-BC76-196BD9614746.jpeg

and then the interior platform :

E0A7620F-5CDD-47C7-8046-57085D109A77.jpeg

and voila - the plug hanging is from the tailgate - and the plan today is to clean up the lip cut and to add a new hole for the orig grommit/plug to live a little higher

ECD49181-E946-4C7F-B5EE-B1323D3E0CB7.jpeg

ECA91375-CF49-48ED-BA39-1357FA8F0E19.jpeg

2CD8037E-5892-4162-853A-ECC8D04F0344.jpeg

i ran out of light last night - but grabbed the spare 265/75 a/t and popped it on a jack to check out fit and lift and tuck ....

im super happy 😁 *theres a slight tilt in the first pic which will level up when i clean up and even out the initial cut. I had to err on the side of caution with the plasma cutter so as to not hit and melt the weatherstripping which is an inch away, I should actually be able to trim about a 1/4-1/2 inch higher with the angle grinder which will tuck the wheel almost dead flush with bumper height. woot!!!!

A29AA0C9-F935-41C7-BB41-2AC10F63CCC8.jpeg

641BC93F-A85B-4589-8CFF-5CA3BBA723F5.jpeg

Last edited:
the 265/75's that came with the rig tuck just inside the tailgate lower lip. these tires are near new - so i will probably roll with them til theynwear out and then eventually jump to the slightly narrower 255/85's which will be almost dead flush with the rear bumper lower. !!! woohoo.

However : the larger diam 33.5 will necessitate trimming the tailgate lowest lip up about an inch to get the same amount of lift/tire tuck.

59C8CA4C-F199-4611-83F9-2276CAC74672.jpeg

Did you already raise the spare tire cross member for a higher tuck?

i need to fab up brackets OR was contemplating a cradle/skidplate which after seeing how high up it went became an attractive option. I will probably lay under there for hours contemplating which to do.......but my arm can fit in between the tire and cargo floor.....so theres room to just raise the oem carrier up flush to the floor.( that was the initial plan)

I think for now i will do the stock carrier - and then down the road if i jump to the 255/85's...i may consider the cradle/skidplate idea. again this is more of an expo rig vs skidplater anyways....so im not overly worried about either.

What’s up with that roof!? I’ve never seen an 80 with that roof / top of cab profile.... looks like a camper van.

its a Jdm FauxTroopy lol - essentially the added roof height allowed me to raise the interior platofrm height giving me an added 7" of underplatform volume which is huge for storing crap/ gear that doesnt need to come out when setting up camp/ sleeping on platform. the above platform to roof height is 34" which is great/ allows me to sit up fully@ 6'3". Under platform now im abke to get 15-20 gallons of jerries/gas. And all camp kitchen / chairs/ propane tank and 20-30 gallons of water with room to spare for tools/ spares etc.......no RTT.no roof rack,no rear swingout - dead simple and easily accessible. without a ton of added accessory weight,

Last edited:
its a Troopy - essentially the added roof height allowed me to raise the interior platofrm height giving me an added 7" of underplatform volume which is huge for storing crap/ gear that doesnt need to come out when setting up camp/ sleeping on platform. the above platform to roof height is 34" which is great/ allows me to sit up fully@ 6'3". Under platform now im abke to get 15-20 gallons of jerries/gas. And all camp kitchen / chairs/ propane tank and 20-30 gallons of water with room to spare for tools/ spares etc........no roof rack,no rear swingout - dead simple and easily accessible. without a ton of added accessory weight,

Wow that’s pretty rad! Well done! And no wonder I’ve never seen one! ;)

I am curious, what gauge of sheet metal did you use on the roof? Very impressive work.

So i reused the original roof....and added a thicker guage( i dont recall the guage but it was about double the roofs skin thickness) of 7" strips down the sides and back for strength. once the interior crosmmembers were tacked to the roof....its a notch stronger. recall..Toyota only glues the roof skin to attach it to the crossmembers at the roof level.....and fhey bolt in the crossmembers near the folded area of the roofline at the gutters line roughly. Im sure they do this because weld would break eventually as theres probably lots of torsional movement/ flex in the roof naturally because theres just not alot of strengthening such a large span without it getting real heavy / up high/ real quick. So Toyota wisely kept the roof skin and roof structure pretty slim/ flimsy with just enough support at the crossmembers to leverage the high strength of the pillars (which are folds galore and very strong) every time i cut into the cruiser body and see the innerds / folded metal and ways Toyota bends those areas for rigidity im amazed at the engineering) So well thought out and so rigid and strong ) this is why we see threads of head on collisions or rolls and the 80 does soooo well. its a freaking tank,,!!

Last edited:
trimmed some more today and finalized the tuck :
- 265/75 now fully tucks up to the height of the rear bumper.
- notched the tailgate lower lip
- cleaned up underside , painted and tucked wiring up and against floor.

35C39E89-B8C1-489B-9A11-08392DE8EB33.jpeg

2CEDFDF8-D2AC-45BB-BA3F-FCF8385BC90A.jpeg

1FEDD4EF-E4C3-4915-A1BF-AC45D0B94489.jpeg

yep- folds down like normal. i will probably end up gussetting near the hinges just because. but its quite solid as is and gets rid of 4" of low hanging tire. and if i jump to a 255/85 or 285/75 down the road i will just need to widen the notch 1/2"-3/4"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom