POR15 et al and how to correctly open the tins and seal them back up again (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
POR-15 is awesome stuff. Used it on quite a few things. Currently using it to fully coat a replacement 80 series front diff/axle housing (esp the swivel balls) and the floor of my box trailer. The three-step process works good combined with proper prep in general.

I came across this really interesting vid of how a person uses POR-15 out of the smaller size tin (not the quart size - 0.946 L). I have a quart tin.

First question - a while back I found the lid design had changed and unlike a normal paint tin getting the lid off was very difficult. I will end up using the whole tin given the area needing to be covered but wonder whether there's a special way (or a very easy way) to open the tin and be able to re-fit the lid and use it again the next day with a simple bit of plastic film to seal it as I did with the POR-15 tins I was using when I started out with POR-15 about 10 yrs back.

Surprisingly, the newest quart tin of POR opened with no drama. I was doing quite a lot with it so I used the whole tin plus the remainder of my previous one.

I’ve always used a fresh piece of Saran Wrap over the can top followed by the lid. I try to clean out the lid channel before the wrap. I now buy the small cans for less waste. If I need a larger can, I fill clean small jars, seal them, and store them upside down, as it leaves less at top to harden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom