Poll on total brake failure in 100 series (3 Viewers)

Has your 100 series LC experienced total -or near total- brake failure?

• No.

Votes: 1,196 74.1%
  • Yes. My truck had between 0 and 50k miles at the time.

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Yes. My truck had between 50k and 100K at the time.

Votes: 13 0.8%
  • Yes. My truck had between 100K and 150k at the time.

Votes: 69 4.3%
  • Yes. My truck had between 150k and 200k at the time.

Votes: 129 8.0%
  • Yes. My truck had between 200k and 250K at the time.

Votes: 119 7.4%
  • Yes. My truck had between 250k and 300k at the time.

Votes: 68 4.2%
  • Yes, My truck had over 300k at the time.

Votes: 32 2.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been driving it around town just fine. It's not effecting brake performance yet. Should be okay as long as I check fluid level and the system keeps holding pressure. I suspect this weep has been going on for a long time and I just recently found it. I'll PM you about taking a look.

I voted no, but I have the same weep/leak as shown by @mitchjohnson000. 1999 LC with 251,000 miles.

The difference with mine is that I noticed it first because mine had actually dripped down onto the inner fender (maybe 2-3 drips). I did some off-roading on a dusty trail and the dust collected on the drips and have not seen an additional drip since. The brakes seem to be working normally and my fluid level looks good; never low or high. I am monitoring the fluid level and leak regularly, but am fearful of potential brake loss.

Last edited:
I just had my brakes fail on my 2000 LX470 with 236,000 miles. I am the original owner and all maintenance has been done religiously. Southern California car its whole life, so no corrosion.

All of the lights came on, including (ABS, Brakes, VSC, etc.) and within a few minutes I had no brakes. Luckily, I as on flat ground not going very fast. Used the emergency brake to stop.

Last edited:
I just had my brakes fail on my 2000 LX470 with 236,000 miles. I am the original owner and all maintenance has been done religiously.

All of the lights came on, including (ABS, Brakes, VSC, etc.) and within a few minutes I had no brakes. Luckily, I as on flat ground not going very fast. Used the parking brake to stop.

Glad you are okay. What would you say is a few minutes?

Glad you are okay. What would you say is a few minutes?

Thanks. Not sure what would have happened if I was going 60 MPH or going down a steep grade.

It all happened within a mile or two, driving driving 25 MPH or so. I was in a residential area. The warning lights and an annoying alarm came on. The brakes worked fine. Hoping that it was just a bug, I pulled over and took the key out of the ignition for a few minutes. I started the car up again and the lights and alarm came on immediately. I continued to drive for another mile or so through 5 or 6 stop signs. Everything was fine until the brakes completely disappeared all at once. I pushed the pedal all the way to the floor and was able to slow down a little, but had to used my emergency brake to stop completely.

Luckily, I just had my emergency brake serviced since it was getting a little loose. Worked like a charm.

Last edited:
Thanks for giving me the details of the event. Let us know what repair work you did when its done.

Unfortunately, I have a trip that I have to take and needed to get my truck fixed immediately, so I had my mechanic change out the entire Brake Booster Assembly - part #4705060041. I am already back on the road.

Is there a much of a market for my old assembly? Have not had the time to see if people rebuild them to resell.

Had my brake failure story begin last night on a drive home late at night in a cellphone deadspot (out in Montana).

Limped home at around 20 miles per hour and used the eBrake to stop the truck in my garage.

Took this video of my symptoms - trying to diagnose if its the Actuator that is not working or something else. Ideas?

Called local shop today and got a $3,900 quote to replace ABS Actuator and Brake Booster. Not too keen on that. CityCruiser LLC has the actuator for $975. Seems like a better deal to me.

OBD2 came back blank. Says there is no issue - yeah except I have no brakes :p

Yep, you'd need to replace the pump/accumulator. I found it on eBay when i worked on my buddy's truck

Yep, you'd need to replace the pump/accumulator. I found it on eBay when i worked on my buddy's truck

@FxFormat Thanks for chiming in. See what I found below.

City Racer

Is this the part or is there something else you might think is required?

Many Thanks for the feedback. This is why the forum is the best!!

@FxFormat Thanks for chiming in. See what I found below.

City Racer

Is this the part or is there something else you might think is required?

Many Thanks for the feedback. This is why the forum is the best!!

Yep, that would be it, it's not too hard to replace, took me a couple hours to do so. There's a guide on how to remove that whole unit as a whole on this site somewhere, search "Brake booster rebuild" it should come up, remove that whole thing and swap it over

It looks like there are a couple different parts being discussed here:

1) Lange's 4705060041 - Brake booster with Master Cylinder Assembly (available at Impex for $1,911 + Shipping from Japan)
2) Hygge's 47070-60010 - Brake Booster Pump Assembly (available at City Racer for $975)

Last edited:
Been thinking about this recently as I picked up my ‘98 with about 230k miles on it. Haven’t had any problems with the brakes and just found out why.

6EDD159A-05F1-4524-BDC0-927EE135F974.png

don’t know what mileage was on it, but seems like back in 2010 a PO lost their brakes. Looks like they declined to have it done at the dealer, but was replaced with OEM unit somewhere else. So -

yes!

my 100 experienced this failure as well. :cheers:

Been thinking about this recently as I picked up my ‘98 with about 230k miles on it. Haven’t had any problems with the brakes and just found out why.

View attachment 2521063

don’t know what mileage was on it, but seems like back in 2010 a PO lost their brakes. Looks like they declined to have it done at the dealer, but was replaced with OEM unit somewhere else. So -

yes!

my 100 experienced this failure as well. :cheers:

Yeah mine was done by the PO as well. It was a $3600 job at the Lexus dealer. I think it was around 220,000 or so. Too lazy to look up the exact mileage. But that was one of the main things that sold me on the one I bought.

This week the brakes in my 2000 LX with about 195k mi had some sort of sudden failure in the ABS valve body that cause fluid to dump out at a fairly rapid rate. I posted this failure in the main forum earlier but thought I ought to post here also.
I drove my LX over 100 mi that day with no issues and parked it in the driveway. I went back about an hour later to moved it so the Mrs could pull her cruiser in. I looked back at where the LX was parked and there was as huge puddle on the ground. I shut it down and looked under the truck and fluid was raining down the driver side frame rail in the front wheel well. I popped the hood and there was a steady drip coming from under the brake Master Cylinder area. The drip slowly stopped after a minute or so. When the key was turned back to the 'on' position the drip immediately came back as the booster pump powered up. The leak seems to be coming from near a hole in the bottom of the ABS block which is next to where the leads for the booster pump connect. Below is a picture of where the fluid was dripping from. I disassembled and took a picture of the bottom of the ABS valve body up inside the hole. It appears that there is a smaller tube or hole that goes up into the valve body. It is likely that what ever seal or component failed caused fluid to dump through that hole.
Some things to note:
The reservoir was not over filled and brakes had not been worked on recently.
This truck has been a TX truck all its life and is about as rust/corrosion free as they get.
The leak is not coming from the seals between the reservoir and MC as that area was dry and the leak seems to be driven by the pressure of the brake booster pump.
The last time I did a full flush on the brake system including the ABS module using Tech Stream was about a year and a half ago and I use Prestone Dot 3 brake fluid.
No alarms or lights went off, possibly because there was still fluid in the reservoir to feed the pump.
I feel very fortunate I was just in the driveway when this happened.
I filed an incident report with safecare.gov
I searched the forum and it seems that there are only a handful of brake failures of this nature, so hopefully it is rare instance as we have two LCs of similar vintage to the LX.

Right now I am in desperate need of an ABS Valve Body. Toyota will only sell the ABS Valve Body with the master cylinder as a sub assembly part no. 47025-60041 for about $1,400 with tax and they say it is back ordered and will take at least a week to get one. If anyone has an ABS Valve body for a 2000-2002 LC/LX that they may have left over from replacing the whole unit for either a master cylinder failure or a booster motor failure, I would be very interested in purchasing it. The last to pictures are of what I need. I have also posted a wanted add for this item in the Mud Classified.

brake fluid on frame rail.jpg

Drip from below ABS valve body.jpg

leak hole in ABS valve body.jpg

IMG_3515.JPG

IMG_3516.JPG

My contribution to this thread is one of appreciation. I acquired my 2004 LC in June of this year, shortly before that I had become aware of IH8MUD and this thread. And because of this thread, one of the first things I did was to have the entire braking system evaluated. As it turned out the brakes were in serious need of repair. Toyota had already recommended (to the previous owner) that the entire assembly be replaced, the emergency brake was totally non operational, and pads, rotors, & calipers were also needed.
Luckily, I had budgeted for repairs and went forward with the needed work. Now, the entire braking system on this truck works flawlessly and it is so nice to get in and drive it knowing that this has been addressed.
I am new to the forum and I appreciate the dissemination of information and the sharing of experiences that allowed me to be aware of this need and get it taken care of right away.

Just to add to the thread, my 2006 LX 470 had the ABS actuator and brake booster replaced by the previous owner at ~175k miles. I called the garage that did it and he instantly recalled the car because he was surprised the part was close to $4k. When I bought it I had wondered why it looked so shiny! Anyway great it's been replaced recently, curious if the new replacements will still be prone to failure in another 170k or so miles?

Hopefully this isn't too off-topic but any idea why toyota chose this super expensive part that when it fails it's catastrophic??? The Sequoia is every bit as heavy and it uses a traditional booster/master cylinder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom