Poll-Have you had the dreaded cam tower leak? (2 Viewers)

Have you had a Cam Tower Leak?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

40Man

SILVER Star
Threads
As indicated, please answer whether you have had a cam tower leak in the appropriate box. Trying to get an idea how prevalent this issue is with the 200 LC.

FYI there was no 2012 model year. Probably the most appropriate buckets would be 2008-2011, 2013-2015, 2016-2017. Each of those 3 categories are largely the same within those year ranges.

Oops, thanks for clarifying. Think it is too late to edit.

2013. 62k miles. So far no leak. Really no repairs at all, except the spring on the fuel door broke.

You might get skewed results due to lack of comparable data. Most '08-'11s have far more miles than '13+. It seems the leak is most common (according to Tundra dudes) in the 70k-100k area.

And yet your 2013 has the cam tower leak - how many miles on your rig?

Mine showed at 90k and started smelling it burning off the exhaust manifold at 95k. Has a little over 95k and change.

This has many people most likely wondering, is my truck leaking? Mine was just a little moist spot and got really bad almost overnight.

Last edited:
I found out last night that I had a timing cover leak, but I don't think that this is the same as the cam tower mentioned in this thread.

When referring to the "Cam Tower" are you referring to the camshaft housing sub-assembly shown on this drawing and therefore the gasket that would be between the assembly and the engine?
upload_2017-3-16_7-35-22.png

Thanks for clarifying.

You might get skewed results due to lack of comparable data. Most '08-'11s have far more miles than '13+. It seems the leak is most common (according to Tundra dudes) in the 70k-100k area.
I found out last night that I had a timing cover leak, but I don't think that this is the same as the cam tower mentioned in this thread.

When referring to the "Cam Tower" are you referring to the camshaft housing sub-assembly shown on this drawing and therefore the gasket that would be between the assembly and the engine?
View attachment 1421791

Thanks for clarifying.

You are correct. Here is a pic of a leaking cam tower as seen through the wheel well (Tundra but same concept).
CamTowerLeak_zps85fcb088.jpeg

@bamma - That helps a ton!

My leaks were with the timing chain cover so I don't think that it applies to this poll. It's such a tight spot to try and see exactly where the leaks are coming from... you may not know the true culprit until you get into there!

Here's mine when it was leaking. This is the front of the engine, top of the right head below the valve cover. They couldn't tell if it was the cam tower or the front cover, the air flow could have spattered oil around. Either way, it was an oil leak.

20170104_131452.jpg
20170104_131517.jpg
20170104_131525.jpg

What have most members done for this issue ?
I pulled my motor apart, cleaned everything up, resealed with Toyota FPIG, and put it all back together. I just can't handle knowing even a drop of oil is seeping out of components.

But only my passenger side cam tower had the beginning of moisture build-up. My issue was a leaking timing chain cover.

I pulled my motor apart, cleaned everything up, resealed with Toyota FPIG, and put it all back together. I just can't handle knowing even a drop of oil is seeping out of components.

But only my passenger side cam tower had the beginning of moisture build-up. My issue was a leaking timing chain cover.

So how hard was that compared to changing the cabin air filter or swapping map lights for LEDs? :hillbilly: You have some skills bro that very few on this (or any) board can claim!

So how hard was that compared to changing the cabin air filter or swapping map lights for LEDs? :hillbilly: You have some skills bro that very few on this (or any) board can claim!
I've got the biggest smile on my face right now brother! The motor work went perfect, but when I switched a map light to LED, it smoked and burnt up the fuse! So... I don't know what that says about me, but I bet it's not good.

Honestly, it's not as bad as it seams. If someone was confident with replacing a radiator, and motor accessories like an alternator. Has used RTV with success before, then that's about it. Your don't need to set timing, you don't need to adjust the value train. As long as someone takes their time, marks where things are, and cleans things perfectly, it is really just time intensive. A Haynes manual and a good set of tools never hurt either.

Toyota did a great job on this motor, seriously, outside of my beloved 454, I think the iForce 5.7 is ridiculously good, especially when you get inside her (yes, I just said that) and see how much thought was put into this motor. Definitely not a throw away motor, like a Ford 6.4.

No leak yet on my 2014 LC with 30k miles but, my 2013 Tundra started leaking 37K. Dealer did the repair under factory warranty and Toyota gave me $1200 credit in future work.

Well since I have no mechanic in me I am gonna take it to dealer and see what they say to me ?
I have a little bit of extended warranty left I hope it covers it
If not I am gonna think about trading the truck in :(
For a newer one mine is 2012 with 99k on it

What happens if you get a leak? Will this turn into a real issue or just remain something that is a nuisance like a few drops of oil leaking from time to time? I think a lot of people (like me) don't know much about this and want to understand how serious a leak might be or become.

What happens if you get a leak? Will this turn into a real issue or just remain something that is a nuisance like a few drops of oil leaking from time to time? I think a lot of people (like me) don't know much about this and want to understand how serious a leak might be or become.
With any leak, overtime it will let more and more oil escape. That said, it's going to take a while.

Best thing is to check your oil when the motor is dead cold. Make sure it is perfectly at the full line. The amount from the full to the add range is about 1 qt.

Then see how many miles versus oil loss you have.

I was at 6,000 miles with 1/4 quart oil loss. Would that damage my motor, nope. So in theory I was fine. Leaks don't kill motors, heat and friction does. But leaks can help get you more heat and friction.

As long as your oil level doesn't drop below the "range" on the dipstick. You are completely fine. It just comes down to how much topping of off oil are you willing to accept.

Like my $5 car from high school, yes... $5. Never lost the motor, but had to drop a quart of oil in it every 800 miles for 6 weeks till I got around to rebuilding it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom