Platoro CO Trip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted a thread with several photos on the main forum here: Platoro Colorado

That was my first trip to the southern San Juans. Had a ball and will go back for more exploration next season.

The area has the rep of being an "undiscovered jewel". I can vouch for the jewel part.

When planning a trip to this area it would be good to factor in your cruising range. This given the fact from the town of Platoro it is at least a 90 mile round trip and some hours to fuel up.

Have not noodled it yet but it is possible for an overnighter or longer it would be better to base out of a lower location close to fuel. This as opposed to staying in or close to Platoro.

This trip was enough to get me to resolve to have a good way to carry a 5 gal Scepter gas can by next season.

Also the copilot has informed me that thanks to her asthma I will have the AC working next season. Seems wearing a bandana bandito style does not stop enough dust.

Be advised, the routes we took are maintained gravel and I would describe them as a trail ride, suitable for high clearance 2WD when dry. Locals tell me Elwood Pass to the Pagosa area has a segment that is a not highly technical 4WD trail with water crossings. There may be more 4WD trails in the area...….just don't know.

Sidebar note: I still mostly rely on paper maps (yep I'm a dinosaur). I use and like the Delorme atlas but I bought a National Geographic topo map of this area. It has more detail and helped a lot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom